I Got My First Egg Today! :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by csummer8882, Aug 20, 2011.

1. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    Yay! We got them April 21st! So excited right now! Trying to upload pics but Yahoo won't let me get in LOL

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    [​IMG]

3. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG] Nothing like that first egg, congrats!!!! We have been getting eggs for 5 weeks and I still get tickled getting eggs every day! Congrats! [​IMG]

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    That's wonderful! Getting that first egg is a wonderful experience. Can't wait to see a photo. Do you know which of your pullets laid it?

5. csummer8882

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    I have no idea. They have nothing in their nesting boxes cause I didn't think it would be this early! LOL Hubby went out this morning to let them out and there it was, right in front of the coop door. Has kind of a white hard film over the nice brown egg, about 1" or maybe a bit bigger in size. We really have 3 golden comets and 2 NH reds and 1 RIR so whichever of those breeds lays this early I guess. [​IMG]

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have 2 gold comets and a RIR, plus some BR...I think it was my BR and Gold Comets who laid my first eggs this week....(got 4 yesterday) I saw the BR sitting in the nesting box, and the Gold Comets are always hanging around the coop now...fun stuff!! [​IMG]

7. csummer8882

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    Here are the pics! 1st one is unwashed...the next 2 are after I washed it! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yay! What big girls I have now! [​IMG]

8. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:you do know that when you wash them you remove the protective bloom? It will need to be put in the fridge and
    starts to age then...If they go unwashed, they stay fresher longer....

*I am not trying to insult your intelligence, its just some people don't know this fact.

**I got one just like that last night![​IMG]

9. csummer8882

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    I actually did not know that! Thank you! So that white color on the eggs is suppose to be there?! Wow! Thank you! [​IMG]

10. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:http://www.suburbanchicken.org/eggs.htm

so sorry, didn't mean to come off as bossy...here is an article another poster found...
    I have not had any of the white on mine, but yes, it is normal...you should always wash before you use your eggs anyhow...
    maybe, if you are selling, place a label on each carton instructing your customers that they were not washed, but to do so first...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by