I GOT MY FIRST EGG YESTERDAY but....... im confussed>?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happyhens44, Sep 14, 2010.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    I got my firs egg yesterday... thinking I would get another I checked the coop and there was not another egg, I though she would lay everyday? is that normal to not get another egg for awhile or someone.... btw I do have a light on them all day so they have plenty of light.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  2. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Oh yes, it is very normal for them to give you an egg then skip a couple days or even a week or two before they give you another. Once they get into the swing of things you will get an eggs more consistantly.

Congrats on the first egg!

3. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    ok, thank you sooo much!!!! [​IMG]

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Yah my RIR did two eggs in a row, skipped two days, laid an egg, skipped another day then gave me one today. Tiny pullet eggs. [​IMG]

5. It is not only normal it is to be expected that they laying will be inconsistent at first. Time does a wonderful thing to a hen.... And then wow virtually every day. Its one of the coolest things in the animal world.

6. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Yeah I think I know which hen did it too [​IMG] thanks guys

7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    It also depends on the breed...many breeds don't lay every day even once they get into the swing of it. Congrats on those eggs though [​IMG]

8. toto65

toto65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Holland, VT
    My pullets were very erratic at first but have been getting more consistent now that they have been laying for a while. In fact yesterday I got 7 eggs. I only have 6hens!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  9. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    First time egg factories are very inconsistent in their production until the factory gets more experience in the day to day operations. [​IMG]

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:How old is your RIR I have 6 that are 21 weeks & I'm ready to eat a good egg . There probably a few weeks away but I'm getting impatient .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by