I got my first egg yesterday!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Danigirl3, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Danigirl3

Danigirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Central Maine
    I just had to share because I don't think it's as exciting to anyone else as it is to me. Not sure what chicken it came from other than it was a brown egg so that eliminated my brown/white leghorns and lakenvelders. My others are black austrolorpes, white plymouth rocks, a barred rock, a turken, and a couple of golden comets. I'm guessing maybe golden comets as they are only about 19 weeks old (we got them on the 9th of May) and had read that they tend to lay earlier. But the day before yesterday I saw one of my white plymouth rocks nesting in the shavings. We are still working on the permanent coop so have no nesting boxes for them yet. I figured we had another 5 weeks or so.
    Thanks for reading!

Dani

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations on your first egg. Always a joyous occasion when you get that first one. Keep them coming. And they can start laying any time after 18 weeks. And some even lay earlier than that.

3. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] Congrats to you! [​IMG]

4. City Gardener

City Gardener Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Our chicks are 19 weeks, so that's very exciting to me to hear! Any day now, huh? Ours are brahmas, which I think take longer, but I'm going to start checking!
    Congratulations!

5. City Gardener

City Gardener Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Oops, I guess they're chickens, by now, not chicks, right?

6. Danigirl3

Danigirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Central Maine
    I still call mine chicks as well. Although I think Foghorn my Rooster has violated them all and I did get my second egg today. Just wish I knew which hen it came from............ [​IMG]

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Yay!!! First eggs are the best!!! Many more to come! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by