1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I GOT MY FIRST EGG!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DLC Eskies, Feb 17, 2016.

1. DLC Eskies

DLC Eskies Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2015
    Chapman, Kansas
    No clue which girl layed it.

[​IMG]

There is 1 problem though. My girls keep kicking the bedding out of the nest boxes and my pretty egg broke. It has a hole in it's shell (the membrane is intact) from landing on the hard bottom of the box.
    What can I put in there?

2. allosaurusrock

allosaurusrock Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm pretty sure there are nest box pads you can get, though I have never used one.

3. crapwagon

crapwagon Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2015
    Fremont IN
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Have never used them but know they are an option. You can cut them to size. I assume the clean up isn't very fun if they get dirty. So they may become pricey. To stop the loss of bedding I just made my boxes deeper.

4. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I line my nest boxes with linoleum scraps. It helps to cushion the eggs and makes it much easier to clean a nest box if broken eggs do occur.

5. DLC Eskies

DLC Eskies Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2015
    Chapman, Kansas
    I already had linoleum pieces in the boxes. It wasn't enough.
    I picked up some nest pads while out. Hopefully they will work.

6. crapwagon

Feb 15, 2015
    Fremont IN
    My Coop
    keep in touch and let me know if you like them. I've always been interested if they are worth while or not.

7. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    There are other causes of cracked eggs. Your egg may not have broken from the lack of bedding. See if it happens again before you go to a lot of trouble. Our hens prefer a nest with very little bedding and the bottom is bare wood ---we've been getting intact eggs for months in that bare nest. If I add more hay they kick it out.

8. crapwagon

Feb 15, 2015
    Fremont IN
    My Coop
    Good point.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    CONGRATS!

New layers are pretty rambunctious...their kicking out the bedding might pass with some time.
    Takes month or so for things to settle down.

I use a flake of straw stuffed down into nest in a bowl shape, harder to kick it out as flake stays pretty intact.

Also, having the fronts of the nests at least 3-4" high can help keep all things in the nest.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by