I got my first geese!!! a TRIO!!! ***A LOT of Pictures***

Discussion in 'Geese' started by mahsmaj, Aug 9, 2009.

1. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Songster

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    The guy I bought them from said he didnt know what breed they were. I think they are brown chinese. The guy told me there was a gander and two geese. Im pretty sure hes right. Do you guys think they are brown chinese and how old do you think they are???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sooo happy that I finally got geese!!! [​IMG] Thanks for looking!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  2. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Songster

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Beautiful geese! They look very happy. Lots of nice grazing for them and a pond for playing in. What more could geese want? I"m not sure if they are brown Chinese or African. The necks aren't quite as long as I would expect on a Chinese, but they look a little small and slim for African. I'm new to geese myself, so I'm hardly an expert. [​IMG] Hopefully one of the people in the know will come along.

3. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Songster

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    Yeah. They have huge fields to roam around and huge pastures with mowed grass! There are also two ponds, the one they like the best though is the bigger one. I will get pictures of all the land in a little bit!

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:They are young, 2009 hatch for sure. I think the one with the bigger black knob above the bill
    is a gander. I'm not sure which breed they are, the necks seem short for Chinas but the heads seem small and 'snakey' for Africans. As they develope more it will be easier to tell which breed or a cross they are. Generally nice looking geese.

5. duck walk

duck walk Songster

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    [​IMG]

this is my Brown Chinese gander Fred...the necks on yours do seem a bit short...not much...wonder if they are crosses or something...[​IMG]

6. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Songster

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    Do you think that they will lay eggs this year or do you think they wont start until next spring? And when they do start laying eggs will they hatch them out?

7. Willowbrook

Willowbrook Songster

Dec 7, 2008
    western PA
    Congratulations on your very handsome geese!
    I'm in the same situation as you...I have a new pair and the jury is still out on whether or not they are African of Chinese. I guess time will tell for the both of us.

8. Kim65

Kim65 Songster

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Geese are seasonal breeders, and start laying in February or so, depending upon your climate. I lived in north Idaho at elevation, so mine started laying in March.

Young geese may take an entire year to lay, but usually if hatched by May or so will begin laying the next spring [​IMG]

I'd agree you have a gander and two geese that are at least MOSTLY chinese, with those beautiful sleek heads. Maybe their necks will get longer as they age? They are definitely young, the girls barely have knobs and the boy's knob is "barely there" compared to what it will be later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: