1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

i got my first incubator!! now i have some rookie questions!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Frankie Ruiz, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Frankie Ruiz

Frankie Ruiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    merry christmas everybody!! i got my first incubator today as a gift, its a hovabator genesis 1588. i have a question.. this might sound a little stupid.. but when you set the eggs in the egg turning rack do you set them point side down or round side down??

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You set them round side up. The end with the air cell has to be up, or the chick could try to pip into the wrong side of the egg and potentially suffocate when it comes time for the hatch.

3. Frankie Ruiz

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    okay thanks!! i just set my first ever eggs!! i hope everything goes well. i let the incubator run for 10 hours and temp fluctuated between 99.5 and 100.3 degrees Fahrenheit

4. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have the same incubator... put it in a room that the temature is stable AND AROUND 70 DEGREES... away from sunlight or a window... mine doesnt fluctuate in tempature even that much... mine stays + or - .2 degrees....

watch the humidity closely.. if you fill all the trays there will be too much humidity... I have found running mine, )I havent hatched any yet..) but you dont have to fill allthe trays

5. Frankie Ruiz

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    thanks!! and now that its stable it fluctuates about the same. and i only filled the water tray labeled 1, and there is about 56% humidity, im gonna use dry incubation and only fill the tray labeled 2 during lock down.

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Pointed end down round end up [​IMG]
    But first you need to get the temperature to stabilize for
    several days before putting the egg's in and do not touch
    the temp settings for another day as the egg's are heating
    up ad after a day you can play with it but you can always
    do as you please....
    If you get egg's in the mail always let them sit for a day ...

gander007 [​IMG]

7. Frankie Ruiz

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    thank you for the advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by