I got my first Peafowl today, Now one is limping bad...

karaokechick

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 25, 2010
Naples, Florida
A local old-timer gave me Four Peafowl today India Blues, and I've never had Peafowl before. One is limping from when he caught it to put in the cage for transporting it using one of those hook thingys. Is there anything special I can do to help him recover? He is a One year old Black shoulder.

The other Male & Hen who are four year olds I separated from him, and left him (the injured bird) with a single hen who is Four also for company. Should I take her out of his pen? I don't think he has ever had a roomate before but I figured being in a new place he might need company.

My son just checked him again while I was writing this and said he is now perched, so maybe he isn't as bad as I originally thought.
(fingers crossed)

I would inspect the leg. If he used a hook he may have cut or damage the leg. then you would need to treat it to prevent infection.

Hello to all, this is my first post here! so excited to get started on my journey!
most all grocers carry turmeric. Very easy to come by, and Whole Foods has a pulverized powder form also, kinda pricey but very good.

I just wanted to let everyone know, that he does look better today, he is not limping as bad at all!!!!!! I will get the stuff though to have on hand for them in case of future injuries. He said they were India Blues, and the yound male was a Black Shoulder?....What do you think
Here is a Pic of the young black shoulder injured one him!

CIMG4143.jpg

These are the others given to me me!!!
CIMG4154.jpg

This is the four year old
CIMG4145.jpg

With one of the Hens
CIMG4140.jpg

The other hen
CIMG4144.jpg

He is still limping, a bit better daily.
He wasn't eating for a few days , and he is eating well now. I had to give him cabbage & lettuce with some sun flower seeds mixed with scratch & starter to get him going and it seemed to get him interested in his feed again. I have my fingers crossed on this one, though, he is very nervous compared to the others, not in the least bit interested in anything going on around him.

Try mixing a bowl of starter wet down like a thick oatmeal. REMOVE WHAT HE DOESN'T EAT, it will spoil. Mine will clean it up ASAP , even with dry starter in the feeder.

Back
Top Bottom