I Got My First Pip Ever!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duckluck, Dec 12, 2009.

1. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Okay, we're on day 20 and I see a chip out of one shell now and another egg periodically twitching...looks like 2 out of 6 are getting busy!

The two call duck eggs are still in the bator but candled without veins, so after the chicks finish their business we will eggsplore the call ducks eggs and see if they were fertile or just not.

Hopefully I will make the Dec. 13th hatching party after all! Had to order a new switch and wafers for my Humidaire hatcher...couldn't stabilize the temp, so we were worried we messed up the eggs because at one point it rose to 101F...so I made the call to move them back before we could burn them up. They were at 101F on the Brinsea Spot Check for about an hour. Then yesterday I had to add more water even though we were in lockdown...but, we just might survive our first time yet! I'd like the humidity to be higher but it is holding steady at 60% so I'm not rocking the boat anymore just now...trying desperately not to open that door!

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Congratulations!

3. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    We got two others starting to twitch now! This is very exciting...er, eggsciting!

4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    GET THE CAMERA OUT! [​IMG]

Oh, sorry, for yelling. I got a little excited. [​IMG]

5. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Ok so that is what they are doing??!!! I am waiting on my first pip (day 21 here) and I see an egg moving in the cup. I thought it was just my eyes or the vibration of the fan, but that's the chick moving?? How cool!

Lol obviously my first hatch [​IMG]

6. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Yep, that's what they're doing! I have three now with small pieces (read: tiny) pieces of shell out/cracked, and five out of six that I have seen twitch. I thought last night it was just my shadow moving with the flashlight but apparently my hopeful thinking won out!

Guess I should get the camera out, eh? Does anyone think that bright flash through the glass would bother them in any way? I have a pretty bright camera...

7. aalbury

aalbury Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    My experience is that a flash washes them out in the bator. A good light on them with no flash worked, but I didn't mess with the fstop or anything.....They really mind the flash later:
    [​IMG]

8. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG] How cute!!!

9. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I'll have pics later, but three chicks so far at 8am! Just in time for the December 13th hatching party!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by