I got my first quail!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Orange Ribbon, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Had one hatch this morning. I left it in the incubator for several hours. In the mean time I ran out town and got a bag of feed. Got home and fixed up a brooder and put the little booger in it. I put out some feed and water, and dunked the beak a few times. It hasn't tried to eat or drink on its own yet though. I'm not sure that anything else is going to hatch. Nothing is going on in there. But to be honest, I didn't think I'd get anything after the luck I've had with mailed eggs before. To get one is pretty lucky for me! I would like this one to have a buddy though. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Congrats [​IMG]

3. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Congrats, it will be up eating and drinking before you know it [​IMG]

4. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

5. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    [​IMG]

That's so sweet!
    Don't give up on the others yet.

I had thought our buttons were done and the next day one more hatched.
    And i've had Coturnix go a day inbetween.

They are very hard to see the pip too so you may just be surprised. lol...

They can go about 12 hrs in the incubator , no food or water because they are still absorbing the yolk, so it should eat soon. Is the feed powder or very small pieces?

6. bigshawn

bigshawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Congrats....

7. Orange Ribbon

Apr 14, 2011
    Thanks all.

Critter Place, the feed is in pieces, some small enough for it to eat easily, other pieces are larger but probably edible in a few days as it grows.

I see one egg that looks like it might be pipped, but can't tell for sure. Just sitting here patiently waiting while my new little birdie shows me how good his lungs are! [​IMG]

8. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Quail eggs are a PAIN to see if theres a pip, until there is an obvious hole its just a surprise. I have been watching my 9 eggs like a hawk for 3 days waiting for a pip and have only witnessed 2 pips and that was in the couple light colored eggs with no spots, some of the others I saw when they had made a decent hole and several of them were just surprises when they hatched, I would look in the incubator and nothing then 5 minutes later I would have an extra wet baby running around lol

9. Orange Ribbon

Apr 14, 2011
    Boy, when they decide to come out, they come out quick just like you said, Mochicken. Just had the second one to hatch and I didn't have a clue it was even trying. It is still wet, but I think it is going to be brown. I see two more that might be pipped, but not sure. I guess you get the hang of what is going on after a few hatches under the belt.

Well, I know this is old hat stuff to most of you, but I'll still report any more additions. I can't help it. [​IMG]

10. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yeah I just had another hatch too, down to two eggs left that havnt pipped yet, hope they hatch soon so I can play with them too lol, mine are all dried and hyper so I actually get to hold them now lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by