I got my first real olive egg today!!!! AHH I DROPPED IT

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sonew123, Nov 22, 2009.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I wasn't 100% positive this girl would lay what I was told she would but this am I found the most pretty OLIVE green egg ( pictures later). She must have laid in the broody's nest-I empty out the broody nest everyday so I dont have babies-too cold-anyway I pulled out 2 eggs and BAM a huge looking green olive!! so happy!!!! I think Ill wait a few weeks to see if she keeps laying and keep like 6 of them for the broody to sit on! I think I asked this before but If I hatch both sexes and mate them-will they produce olive egg kaying chickens too? The pullet parents were100% blue Amaracauna and the dad was a 100% BCMaran- she has golden tips on her neck/chest feathers and the rest is all blue. She has been mating with a 1/2 favorelle 1/2 Amaracauna? what do you think?

OMG--I was so excited to show someone it slipped and fell on the floor!!! I picked it up asap and put in a clear bowl to see fertility!!! it was !!!! I kep the egg shell to show DH and kept the fertile egg yolk in a little clear bowl to take the picture! What a stunod!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    can't wait to see pics! I have two broodies sitting on some eggs that should produce olive egger chicks... [​IMG]

3. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Conrats of the egg! I asked the same thing a while ago and the general consensus was you would still get colored eggs especially if they have a pea comb.

4. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    [​IMG] Way cool. I gave a friend two green eggs and they got "paraded around" she said. Like show and tell I guess! She said she was thinking of charging admission! [​IMG]

5. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG] Congrats on your first olive egg [​IMG]

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    my DD found it first and put it back under the broody and came and got me! She knows how I am about finding the "firsts" so she was sos weet and let me think I was the first to find it-Ill post a picture of todays eggs so everyone can see the colored mixtures I get daily! EE eggs-silkie eggs-Bo eggs-Amaracauna eggs-large and small cochin eggs-cinnamin queen eggs-I love colored eggs-that really is my breeding scheme-not to really get perfect chickens to get the perfect colored eggs!!! Now all Im missing is pink eggs:-(

7. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I'm with you, I want the colorful basket and egg carton!!!! I wish I would have known about all the colors before I got my chickens, as I would now love to have a couple of TRUE Amaracunas and Marans! [​IMG]

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I'm with you, I want the colorful basket and egg carton!!!! I wish I would have known about all the colors before I got my chickens, as I would now love to have a couple of TRUE Amaracunas and Marans! [​IMG]

The thing about chickens is I really started out weird!! I only wanted a few ( I know I know ) But as time went on and I started hatching all I wanted was a hen from every breed! I wanted to narrow it down to breeds that have fat fluffy butts! Im still doing that but now its a mix of colored eggs and ery hardy birds with 2-3 breeds that I can sell fertile eggs to help offset food costs-I love my Lav silkies-they help alot with that! In fact I can send some eggs out next week if anyone is interested?? LOL...

9. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Would love to see pics!!!!

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Id love to post them but DH is in hunting camp and he was SUPPOSED to be out 3 hours ago!!! He has the digital! I promise today!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by