i got my frist egg i need some help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by capt Howdy ccg, Mar 29, 2015.

1. capt Howdy ccg

capt Howdy ccg Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2014
    should I leave the egg in the nesting box to try to make the chicken go Brody[​IMG]

2. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    No that isn't going to make her go broody. You can take all of the eggs and if she is going to go broody she will do so. Also what breed do you have. Any breed can go broody, but some are know for doing so.

3. capt Howdy ccg

Dec 8, 2014
    I have buff Orpingtons

4. Rowsdower

Rowsdower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    How old is she? If this is her first egg and not just YOUR first egg, I would give her a bit of time to adjust to egg laying and get shell thickness together, etc before I tried to make her go broody.

5. capt Howdy ccg

Dec 8, 2014
    This is there frist time so i will take it out

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you're trying to tempt a hen to go broody, keeping some bait in the nest doesn't hurt, but it's also no guarantee. Being a brand new layer you'll need to give her some time. I'd use golf balls or fake eggs...It's Easter so a good time to stock up on fake plastic eggs to bait nests. Don't waste perfectly good eggs as bait unless you have an overabundance. Once a hen decides she's actually broody, IMO that means two nights in a row on the nest, you'll place fresh eggs for hatching anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by