I Got My New Chicks! *PIC* WARNING One Didn't Make It.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lunachick, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    My letter carrier called me at 8:00 this morning - so I went over to the P.O. to get them! I was so excited to grab my peeping box. After I got home and opened it, this poor little girl didn't make it. Anyone have any idea what kind she was? [​IMG] I expected that this might happen, just wanna know what kind she was.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ordered the surprise package, so I have no idea what my babies are.
    [​IMG]

They're a little wobbly on their feet, like little drunken sailors! [​IMG] Now I have to go to work, I'm going to miss them!

2. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Looks like a Buff Necked Neck. Poor baby

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  3. bluetrain

bluetrain Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    Western NC
    Quote:Ok, I am really new....what is in the bowl that the one is looking at?

4. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    looks like the water bowl with aquarium stones in it so that the babies dont drown

5. roosterjerry

roosterjerry Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Rineyville,KY
    I'm new too but I know this one so I'll chime in. That is the water bowl it has marbles or glass beads in it so the chicks don't fall in and drown.

6. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Yes, that's what it is. I have to get a decent waterer. They like that one though, they like to stand in it and drink, but I have to wash the dern thing out constantly. The glass pebbles are kinda pretty, no? [​IMG]

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd also say you lost your Naked Necked Turken. Sad, I really love them, too. They are such characters.

But your other peeps look happy and healthy! I hope they all do well! It's hard to identify the others in the red light.[​IMG]

8. bluetrain

bluetrain Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    Western NC
    Quote:Again, since this is all new to me, those pics look like my chicks too....I have to imagine that different breeds chicks look different than these?.....(I know that sounds like a stupid question)

9. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Again, since this is all new to me, those pics look like my chicks too....I have to imagine that different breeds chicks look different than these?.....(I know that sounds like a stupid question)

I'm not certain what you're asking, but some breeds do come out looking like other breeds. Identification can be hard with chicks like this. There are some that people can identify right away, for example, the chick in the picture looks like he or she had a bare neck, which signifies the Turken. Your chicks could turn out to be these breeds but they could also be others. People use other featues like feet/leg color, how many toes, beak color, etc, to tell the difference between these look-alike chicks. The game is really waiting. You'll have to find out one way or another.

No question is a stupid question. We were all beginers once.

10. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Im so sorry about your little chickie [​IMG] she looks like a buff turken to me as well.

and it may just be the lighting but some of your other chicks look like a production red/red sex link possibly? i am no expert.

CUTE! and good luck with your new chickies [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by