1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I got my new EE pullet last night, woo hoo!, Now the big question...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EllyMae, Nov 24, 2008.

1. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

She is younger than my BR pullet, and of course smaller.I am guessing she is around 6months give or take, and my BR gal is 8months. Sooooo, when I introduced them, it went ok at first until BR gave EE a really hard peck on the back and followed her around like a school bully. Plus, my BR pullet has started crowing ever since her coop buddy(a mutt pullet but very dear to my heart) died. Funny thing is, she is still laying eggs. So, long story short, they are in seperate coops, but are very close to each other and can see and talk to each other. Now for my question...should I wait til the EE is a little bigger before putting them in the same coop? I have been wanting an EE for a long time and now that I finally have one, I don't want to lose her. Does it sound like my BR will be mean to her instead of accepting her? I just don't know how to go about getting them in the same coop without murder and mayhem.

2. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    EllyMae, Congratulations on getting an EE girl. [​IMG]

I have several and I love them soooo much. They are so sweet, social and full of personality and mine lay me nice big green eggs w/ big ole yolks.

I would keep your new EE girl separate from your flock just in case she might be carrying something hidden. Sometimes birds won't show signs of illness for weeks to even a month. Rule of thumb is to keep the new chickens isolated from your flock for a month. I know it seems like a pain, but will be worth it.

If after that she seems healthy then you can slowly integrate them to the flock.

After the month isolation you can put them so they can see each other, but not together. They say eventually you can just slip the new bird in the coop after dark at bed time and the original flock will think they've always been there.

I don't buy that part. I think my chickens are smarter than that. There will be a little pecking order issues to work out, so just keep an eye on them.

Hope that helps. Good luck!!!!! [​IMG]

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I've got a few bullys in my coop, and they haven't killed anyone yet [​IMG] Everyone else just learns when to stay away [​IMG] If it's not a non stop assault.... if there's no blood and the EE seems fine otherwise, you might just put them together when you have time to sit for a couple of hours and make sure no one is taking it too far. They will establish order, and obviously your BR thinks she's top chicken, so she's gonna make sure the EE knows it.

What is the size difference? If they are pretty close I wouldn;t stress too much about a little bit of pecking, now, if she is half or smaller, then maybe wait.

But this is just my opinion [​IMG]

4. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    I had a younger EE that I needed to introduce to my older flock (non-EEs) last summer. I made the mistake of putting her in with the larger girls (after the quarantine period). Everything looked good for 5-10 mins so I left and did yard work with DH. Came back later that afternoon to a bald chicken! They had pecked her tail feathers clean off! I separated her for another few weeks while they grew back, and then put her in a cage in their run. Left here there for a few hours, then opened the door. She was fine after that. They just needed to see and smell her, cluck a bit and get their sounds out with the barrier first, then they seemed fine. It was wierd, but worked like a charm!

Hope this helps.

5. EllyMae

Thank you all soooo much. I have been so excited about getting my first EE that I wanted to make sure that nothing went wrong...especially after losing my dear sweet Bugsy.
    Well, here is what I ended up doing...I modified a rabbit hutch today that will make a comfy temporary home for the new EE, who by the way is named Muffin(go figure, lol). My BR, named Mrs. Prissy, and Muffin have chatted back and forth all day. I will leave them like that for a while to make sure all is well.
    I am like a proud mama with my EE, lol. I think I'm making my family nuts.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Congrats on your new girl! My advice is to keep them separated for a month to allow time for anything the EE may have to surface, without endangering Mrs. Prissy. I have one EE and four Ameraucanas and they are all such pretty girls.

7. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Pecking is something they will ALWAYS do .at 5 - 6 months old , they are old enough to defend each other . If the new pullet was say 2 months old , I would say , YES keep her separate until she is about 3 - 4 months old ...

I mixed 24 new to the flock after the separation period to guard AGAINST ILLNESS . i PUT THEM all IN THE RUN AT THE SAME TIME AND SAT BACK AND WATCHED . yes THERE WAS PECKING , AND CHASING , but thats what chickens do . That evening they all entered the coop ( ON THEIR OWN ) and they did fine .

I know we all feel we have to pamper and protect them to the MAX , but relax they will be just fine . ITS LIKE the 1st. day of school for our children , THEY WILL ADJUST if MOM can just sit back and except .[​IMG]

8. EllyMae

Thanks speckledhen and cajunlizz. I will keep her by herself like everyone has recommended. Plus she will have a little more time to grow.
    Speckledhen, is your EE as big as your BR or are they around the same size.
    As soon as my digital camera surfaces(we just recently moved!) I will try to get a picture of her.

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    What worked for me the last few times is putting them together in a totally different place that none of them have been kept before. Makes them feel like they need to stick together, LOL

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My EE pullet is a leaner body type than the Barred Rock girls, but still, she's really filled out alot in the last few weeks. She's about 34 weeks old and not a small girl. The EEs and Ameraucanas really have a different body shape than the BR girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by