I got new baby chicks! BUT...

Azfra

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2020
Hey there, i just got 2 new baby chicks (2 weeks old), I have currently put them in the cage where the big 2 hens usually sleep. One of the hens is eagerly eyeing them and kind of trying to get in. Is it safe to let them out and mingle with each other. Will she be like a mother or the opposite.

Hey there, i just got 2 new baby chicks (2 weeks old), I have currently put them in the cage where the big 2 hens usually sleep. One of the hens is eagerly eyeing them and kind of trying to get in. Is it safe to let them out and mingle with each other. Will she be like a mother or the opposite.
No you do not need to let these chicks mingle with your hens. Any new birds even chicks need to be kept in quarantined area for at least two weeks but preferably thirty days prior to turning them out with your existing flock to prevent the spread of any unknown health conditions or diseased from the new birds to your healthy flock already onsite at home or from your older birds to your new ones especially if you are bringing new chicks home it is a big risk. Please don’t mix them. Your older hens could easily kill your new chicks in a heartbeat when your not looking. It is simply not responsible to mix them like this. Please do not do this. You will talk to chicken keepers that just throw them in there right off the bat and hope for the best and don’t think a two dollar chick is worth the risk and simply don’t give a crap. If you don’t then go ahead. If you do give a rip about your flock then please heed my warnings and follow my instructions. Good luck to you and your flock and new chicks.

So, i should keep them out, but eventually they would need to mingle, as I do not have any other place to keep them?

I wouldn't trust your hens just yet with the chicks. Your chicks are to young and may get hurt. If your cage is big enough I would keep them in there for a month or longer and let the hens and chicks get to know each other. Look but can't touch method. You could have a safe area for the chicks when you do let them in together A place where they can get into but the hens can't. Otherwise you could wait until the chicks are the same size as your hens. Hopefully I've been some help 😊

Haha thank you, ill keep them away from the big ones for now, but ill slowly introduce them, waiting until they are the same size though, will be 7 months. Eek!

You need an integration plan, as well as time for them to get used to each other, before you consider letting them mix.

I have no idea what your set up looks like or what kind of space you have to work with. This is my article on early integration, hope it gives you some ideas on how to set up for a safe integration between chicks and adults: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

Haha thank you, ill keep them away from the big ones for now, but ill slowly introduce them, waiting until they are the same size though, will be 7 months. Eek!
That would definitely be too long of a wait for sure! My chicks are 12 weeks old and they are large breeds of chickens but at 12 weeks I think they are gigantic so I would imagine that at a month under their belts yours will be in much better shapes to defend themselves somewhat. Also if you have access to a large dog kennel mine worked well as a brooder pen. I had two I used for giant breed dogs. I put chicken wire over one for when they were outside. It worked great and kept any predator out except snakes. I used it on my screened in porch mainly. I had nine birds in one until they were nine weeks old and they made it just fine. No problems. I let them outside in my run that was under construction along with the coop also under construction for day trips of about four to six hours based on the heat tolerance for the day. I live in Mississippi and our heat indices even in the shade have averaged around 104 to 107 most days for mid June and all of July now into August. It has been just a barrel of laughs. Good luck to you and your transitioning of birds.

Back
Top Bottom