I got one out! now what?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by melissastraka, May 2, 2009.

1. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I just hatched my first baby out of the egg. Now what? I know i leave it in there until the others hatch, dont open the bator for any reason, keep the temp up, they can live for 3 days on the yoke...right???

Now, my baby came out with goo on its backside. It looks like the whites when you crack an egg and i see its cord. That is suppose to look like that...right? It will dry up and fall off right?

Wow, I have been on this thing for months and now i am a wreak! I even skipped a track meet for my DH's team to stay home and make sure this went ok

One more question: I had a pip yesterday afternoon. I hasnt made any progress from there but it is rocking. I cant tell anymore if it is peeping or if it the one that is already out.

Advise needed

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You can leave it in till it's completely fluffy. Some leave them in for a day if needed. I grab mine out quickly and it never seems to hurt anything. I've had them pip over 24 hours before zipping out. The goo will dry up on the baby, too, so don't worry.

3. melissastraka

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Great! And you are a grandma!!!

4. I LOVE COCHINS

I LOVE COCHINS ChochieChochieCoo

Feb 10, 2008
    Quote:

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm so happy for you, Melissa! Hope the hatch goes well. [​IMG]

6. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Congrats!

7. melissastraka

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    So far i have a barred EE, a RIR and a La Fleche out and 4 more pipped! I should have left the house today...i am neglecting all my house work to watch them hatch!!! I'll post pics when they are done!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by