I got outlaw chickens and became HOA President

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by MsMarbles&Me, Nov 21, 2008.

1. MsMarbles&Me

MsMarbles&Me Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    You might like this - I got my first chicks in March and volunteered for the unpaid position of HOA President (the previous one quit). No one else wanted the job so I got it. I figured if anyone had a problem with the chickens, they'd have to complain to me. So here it is November and there have been no complaints. After laying low for a while, I've even casually mentioned to a few neighbors here and there that I have some pet hens like it's no big deal - I mean, don't you have pet hens? I've started sharing eggs and will have a nice bounty in the spring. That will help too.

My experience has been that people really don't care as long as they don't have to see them, smell them, or hear them. Besides an occasional cackle, they satisfy that. Luckily, our lot is mostly surrounded by trees or shrubs.

If anyone were to complain now, my kids and I would go door to door with our sweet silkies and get the rather vague covenants changed (who could deny me and my kids these wonderful pets!?) I'm not giving up my hens! (They are allowed in the county where I am so no problem there).

Oh and the presidency? Well, that's a cinch. Just collect the dues and pay the mowers and insurance. Oh and establish a speed limit. Not too bad.

2. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    MsMarbles&me 2012

3. Jster

Jster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2007
    Awesome Idea! Way to go straight to the top!

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Well, now you have the perfect opportunity to create a rule that every member of the association have chickens in their backyard. [​IMG] Go around giving people notices that they better have a coop built by the end of this month. Ha ha! [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:GREAT IDEA!

But I might get edited!

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    The right person in power for once [​IMG]

7. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    You go girl! That's the way to head off trouble!

8. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

Love it! I would vote for that ticket!

9. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    My HOA in Vegas gave me trouble over a 10"desert tortoise that was legally adopted. They claimed in wasnʻt a recognized pet. Heavens knows what they would have said about chickens!

10. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    That's the spirit! Refreshing to hear from you after so many people panicked about housing associations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by