I got peeps! I got Peeps! I got peeps! I need help!! LOL

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by earnhardtlvr, Apr 2, 2011.

1. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    OK I am starting to get this chicken math thing! Started out I told boyfriend 5-6. Then I started looking at all of the different breeds...and 5-6 became an order of 15. But, we wanted some Ameraucana's cuz I wanted some pretty tinted eggs too...so where we placed the order didn't have those available right now so we went to another place and ordered 5 of those. Now we r up to 20! Today we went to a local feed store and they had light brahma's and we walked out of the store with FIVE of them. Now, we r up to 25 chicks!! What am I going to do?? I still want some silkies!!

So here is my question...of the 5 we brought home today one seems a little "slow." I'm calling her Dopey. She will drink on her own but we have not seen her eat the medicated feed. She just kind of stands there and then will take a step or two and then just stand there...I'm worried about her not eating. The other girls don't seem to be picking on her...but they all huddle together and run around and play and she doesn't engage with them at all. [​IMG] As long as she is drinking is that ok for today? Is there anything else I should do?

The brood box is about 90 degrees under the heat lamp, about 80 degrees in the middle of the box, and about 75 degrees at the opposite end. Dopey kind of stays closer to where the heat lamp is, the others have taken naps all over the box! I feel really good about the other 4. Here is a pic of the brooder.

2. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Here is the brooder??

[​IMG]

3. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Quote:Try putting electrolytes in the water, also feed yogurt, i hear its a super medicine food.

4. chick-n-momma

chick-n-momma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Garrett County, Maryland
    CONGRATS!!!! I have figured out the chicken math thing rather quickly myself.....I have 6 thats all we had planned to start with but just told hubby that if TSC get's EE's in I will be getting 6 more...lol. I don't know enough about them yet to try to help you out with your little Dopey. I know that when I put mine in their brooder they all found the water and food right away. They all pretty much stayed under the light for about 24 hours then they spread out. They all slept standing up the first night then by the next day they were all laying down to sleep. [​IMG]

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Congratulations on your new babies. Try giving her a little pedialyte or gatoraid, it you don't have any give her a little sugar water (only give the sugar water once). Take a yolk from a boiled egg and crumble it up (soften with some water or yogurt) and place on a plate or paper towel in front of her. Do this away from the other chicks if they swarm in. Use your finger to peck at the food until she gets the idea.

If that does not work then you can get polyvisol without iron (human infant vitamins) and give her a couple of drops.

I hope she perks up soon. [​IMG]

Edited to add: Also check her vent to make sure she does not have a poopy butt.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  6. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Quote:Hey Taz! Thanks for answering. We gave them the water with electrolytes in it and she will drink this. She walked over to the food but wouldn't stick her head in to eat. Can we give strawberry banana flavored yogurt? It doesn't have chucks of fruit in it, it's just flavored. We put them to sleep about 45 mins ago. Should we wake her up and try this now or let her rest and try in the morning? I did check her little vent and there was a little poo there and i gently wiped it off as best I could.

7. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    You're welcome

If you do not have plain yogurt then a little of the flavored should be ok to use in the egg yolk. I would pick out the chunks for now. If she has been really weak then you should get some food in her sooner rather than later. There really is a point of no return.

It sounds like she has pasty butt so try not to give her too much sugar. I am going to try and find a link for a good treatment. I will edit this post to add the link when I find it.

I think you should get the polyvisol as soon as you get a chance, it is always a good idea to have some around anyway.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  8. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Quote:Thank u so much...am boiling egg now...and will mix some smooth yogurt in...hope this works for my little Dopey!

9. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    hey i answered too!

10. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Ok, I didn't find ONE great thread on pasty butt so I will give you the info I found on several threads. Everything I read can be found by searching "pasty butt" in the search box.

Pasty butt can occur in situations where the brooder gets too hot for the chick. Shipped chicks get it more often than home hatched ones. It must be treated ASAP to prevent fatality.
    Start be removing external poop stuck to the chick. A cloth and warm water can be used to gently clean the vent area. Some use olive oil to massage the vent area (a little inside the vent helps) to encourage bowel movement and prevent sticking in the future. A soak in warm water may be necessary if wiping does not work. Dry the chick well before replacing in brooder.

Treatments: I saw where some add organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar in the water as a treatment and preventative. Others feed the chick sand to help push out the waste. Some use both. Keep the chick hydrated and limit sugar as it can make the issue worse.

The affected chick must be checked daily and retreated if necessary. It will grow out of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by