I got pictures!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Matt A NC, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I had 4 broodies due the past couple days. All 4 hatched yesterday. For my first broody hatch of the year I only used proven mommas. The Mommas are 2 bantam cochins, a standard cochin, and a standard Buff Orp. I already had them in seperate houses/boxes, so all I had to do was switch the food and water to containers safe for the chicks.

Picture Album

Here is Picture of a set of houses/nest boxes that has the bantam cochin mommas. The standards are in seperate houses, because they don't get along with each other.

Today I cleaned the nests out and replaced the hay. Don't want the babies sleeping in nasty nests.

Matt

2. ssledoux

ssledoux Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    OMG - SOOOO cute!! I LOVE Smudge. She is a gorgeous hen, and what a good momma!

I'm so addicted to my chickens!

3. Dotty

Dotty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Washington
    What great pictures, they're so cute! I just love the one of Smudge and her babies.

4. Matt A NC

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Yesterday, Smudge had her 8 out for about an hour, but I couldn't pull myself away to go get a camera.

Today, I got the pics of Smudge during her first time out today around noon. Today it was 2 hours the first exploration and then another 2 hours later in the day. We were close to 80 today, so it was perfect for the babies to be out for short periods. I wish I had a picture of when Smudge was taking a dust bath in the garden. She had a nice deep hole dug and the babies were just standing around the edge watching. "Mom, hurry, we want to go back to the house."

Smudge will let me handle her babies for short periods of time.

Momma, the buff Orp, is grouchy and wouldn't let me get a pic of her 4 babies. She is a fierce and protective mother. Already flogged the dog and a freerange rooster. Those babies are SAFE.

My bantam cochins are super friendly and just watched as I handled their babies. I hand raised both bantam mommas 2 years ago, so they trust me. They did start clucking a little louder, but didn't fuss as long as I kept the babies in site.

Matt

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

sweet pix!

6. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    very nice [​IMG]
    what color will that cochin feather out to be???
    We just got one but ours is all black.

7. Matt A NC

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Quote:In Blues_Chicks2.jpg the one just coming from under it's momma will be Blue

The one in Blues_Chicks3.jpg should be dark blue or black.

Blues_Chicks5.jpg should be black.

the cochin in from of Pigie(white momma) in Pigies_Chicks2.jpg will be black.

Matt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by