i got pips... a bleeder also help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lionkitty71, Apr 3, 2012.

1. lionkitty71

lionkitty71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Southeast Iowa
    out of 12 eggs i got 9 pips... im so excited this being my first hatch... but the one that pipped last night still isnt out and now there is blood by the pip hole... the chick is still peeping and moving though so i hope he is all right...

Does it take a while for them all to hatch after the pip? most of them pipped by 5 am still no hatches.. 3 havent pipped but are moving the eggs.. so im hoping they do...

Is there anything i can do for the one with blood by it?

2. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    first, congrats!!! [​IMG]

next, it can take 24 hrs or more from pip to hatch. Best thing you can do is let them be and be patient!

If the one with a little blood is moving and peeping, he is probably ok. Don't open the incubator, because you don't want to lose humidity and shrink wrap them.

It is hard work for them to hatch......just sit on those hands.......and watch! [​IMG]

good luck and keep us posted!

3. silkie_sue

silkie_sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Ohhh [​IMG]
    That very first hatch is the hardest to wait out.
    After that you'll be like....Oh I'll have a peek...nope not yet and be able to just go off and do as you please and let them do what they need to do.
    Happy hatching wishes to you

4. Crippledturkey

Crippledturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Poplar Bluff, Mo
    In my last hatch 3 days ago, one egg pipped and had a pool of blood mixing in the water, and this tiny black chick emerged, and he is the rowdiest chick I have so far. Another clutch in the incubator started hatching yesterday morning. There is no blood in the incubator, but the smell is twice as bad and I could not keep the humidity low enough, yes low. Hatching is an art, which no one can ever master, is what i have learned.

5. lionkitty71

lionkitty71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Southeast Iowa
    thanks for the replies... the one bleeding actually broke lose with the yolk sac still out.. so i wrapped it with a warm paper towel put him in a coffee cup over night and its gone this morning... I have 8 hatched out 2 with pips and i think 2 are dead but we will see... i think for the odds of 8 live ones out of 12 eggs is good.... im so excited... my boyfriend is irritated becuz already talking of a 2nd incubator a new brooding pen built outside and wanting more eggs to hatch lol... he calls me the chicken lady now...

Thanks to this site and everyone on it for all the informational help..

6. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    Well, I am sorry about that little one.....but 8 out of 12 is pretty good!!!!!!!

Good luck with the babies and on your next hatch!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by