I got quite a surprise today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fused1013, Feb 13, 2014.

1. fused1013

fused1013 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Southeast MI
    I'm in SE MI so it has been a horrific winter here. Today was pretty nice so I figured I'd clean out the hen-house (it's been about 2-3 weeks since it was warm enough to stir it up) so I opened the big door and started getting the clumps of poop out and found one that was rather blueish green hmmm ... a rather poopy first egg.
    I started tackling the bedding and there's another one, and another, and... all together 8-1/2, I found a few remnants of the other pieces from that one. They were all pretty much frozen and most were cracked but now I know to check in there every day.
    I opened up the nest box and put some bedding in there and pretty much changed all of it that was in the hen house. I also ran out and picked up layer feed. The girls were 6 months on the 7th (all E.E.'s), I honestly didn't expect any eggs for another month or so...

[​IMG]
    These are all of them
    [​IMG]
    this one was a soft shell
    [​IMG]
    all the yolks looked good, even frozen, including the soft one
    [​IMG]
    These 3 weren't broken, I'll probably try to blow them

[​IMG]
    nice size shape and color I'm not sure if these are from 1, all 4 of them or what. I will be checking several times a day now. I'm still in shock over this LOL

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    what a great find ! at least they were still eggs and not that many babies running around. haha

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats!

4. fused1013

fused1013 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Southeast MI
    Update
    It is only one of the 4 (flock leader Eartha). I caught her laying by the big door Friday about 10:30-11:30 am and waited until she came out in the run and sure enough there was an egg there, still warm.
    I checked Saturday about every hour or so and there was one between 3:30 and 5:30 pm. Nothing Sunday. Monday between 8:00- 10:00 am and...in the nest box woohoo :) Today I went out again about every hour, and about 1:50 pm she was in the nest box, butt hanging in the coop, it looked like she was breathing slow or panting (all I could see was her butt), then she got up turned around looked right at me and left the box. Inside was this beautiful green egg, still wet :)
    If my calculations are correct she should lay again tomorrow towards evening and take Thursday off. It seems like her schedule is about 28 hours.

[​IMG]
    This is the first "viable: egg next to a store bought grade A large, pretty nice for a pullet!

[​IMG]

weirdest of all is her eggs match my dining room wall as well as a paint chip :O
    [​IMG]
    from left to right today's, yesterday's, Saturday's and Friday's

[​IMG]
    From front to back today's, yesterday's, Saturday's and Friday's

[​IMG]

5. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    now that style, matching eggs !![​IMG]

6. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Beautiful eggs!

7. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Congratulations on your eggs! Very pretty and they also match your paper plates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by