I got quite a surprise today

fused1013

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 22, 2013
Southeast MI
I'm in SE MI so it has been a horrific winter here. Today was pretty nice so I figured I'd clean out the hen-house (it's been about 2-3 weeks since it was warm enough to stir it up) so I opened the big door and started getting the clumps of poop out and found one that was rather blueish green hmmm ... a rather poopy first egg.
I started tackling the bedding and there's another one, and another, and... all together 8-1/2, I found a few remnants of the other pieces from that one. They were all pretty much frozen and most were cracked but now I know to check in there every day.
I opened up the nest box and put some bedding in there and pretty much changed all of it that was in the hen house. I also ran out and picked up layer feed. The girls were 6 months on the 7th (all E.E.'s), I honestly didn't expect any eggs for another month or so...

These are all of them

this one was a soft shell

all the yolks looked good, even frozen, including the soft one

These 3 weren't broken, I'll probably try to blow them

nice size shape and color I'm not sure if these are from 1, all 4 of them or what. I will be checking several times a day now. I'm still in shock over this LOL

Update
It is only one of the 4 (flock leader Eartha). I caught her laying by the big door Friday about 10:30-11:30 am and waited until she came out in the run and sure enough there was an egg there, still warm.
I checked Saturday about every hour or so and there was one between 3:30 and 5:30 pm. Nothing Sunday. Monday between 8:00- 10:00 am and...in the nest box woohoo :) Today I went out again about every hour, and about 1:50 pm she was in the nest box, butt hanging in the coop, it looked like she was breathing slow or panting (all I could see was her butt), then she got up turned around looked right at me and left the box. Inside was this beautiful green egg, still wet :)
If my calculations are correct she should lay again tomorrow towards evening and take Thursday off. It seems like her schedule is about 28 hours.

This is the first "viable: egg next to a store bought grade A large, pretty nice for a pullet!

weirdest of all is her eggs match my dining room wall as well as a paint chip :O

from left to right today's, yesterday's, Saturday's and Friday's

From front to back today's, yesterday's, Saturday's and Friday's

now that style, matching eggs !!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom