I got Silkies!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by MageofMist, Feb 18, 2017.

1. MageofMist

MageofMist Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    I have been bitten by the bird bug, and when I saw someone in the local area selling an unrelated pair of Silkies, I pounced on the ad, the hen being 18 month and the roo being 10 month old I believe. I was surprised at how large they were, bigger than my cat! [​IMG] As it is winter we are keeping the chickadoos in the kitchen to keep them warm, as while many sources say they are winter hardy, I don't want to risk losing my new babies... Though I found out the hard way that they are pooping machines!

Even when I clean them out before going to bed, in the morning it looks like I haven't cleaned up after them in a week! At least it is easy to clean up, but my dad isn't too fond of that part of owning the Silkies, having to play 'hop-scotch' to make a coffee in the morning. [​IMG] They also aren't the most cuddly, being rather skittish but surrender quickly when picked up and mellow out after I give them treats. The hen used to be the only one who took treats from me while the roo warily watched from a distance, but now both take mealworms, cabbage and sunflower hearts from me and run to me when I call them with kissy sounds.

Here is the roo being cute and resting his head on my arm after eating some mealworms and sunflower hearts from my hand, he waits so patiently for more before then remembering "oh, I should be trying to escape!" again and wriggling away. Still haven't decided on names yet fully, but I have taken to calling the hen Cottonfluff and the male Raspberry, as that is what is crown reminds me of.

[​IMG]

Talking about my cat, she has been taking the fluff invasion surprisingly well. When she ran down the stairs to greet me once I got home and saw the fluffy dinosaurs in the kitchen, she froze like a statue with one paw up, unsure what to make of them... Before then running in the living room as if going "NOPE!" The chickens were also rather uncertain of Angel... But what surprised me was the hen was more aggressive than the rooster! He just clucks loudly, while she flares out her neck feathers and wings and clucks loudly while looking like she is about to pounce on the cat! But they have been getting used to her and the hen has stopped doing the displays upon seeing her. Angel, my cat, just calmly sits next to me as I feed the silkies treats, watching them while making slow blinks at them and looking away when one makes eye contact, showing that she respects them and isn't a threat, which is very sweet of her.

I was worried the cat would either be terrified of them or even attack them like she does with other cats, but she is quite calm around them even though she has never been with chickens before, and the last time she saw a large bird, a flock of geese flying over the house one time, she sat at the window growling at them while her, sadly now deceased older brother who passed away from old age at the age of 20, was outside, jumped onto the shed roof debating if he could jump high enough to catch one of the giant birds, thankfully the geese were too high up if he did try to make an attempt, which he didn't. I wonder if the fluffy chickens remind her of Wreako, who was a black and white ball of fluff?

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Awwww. That's wonderful how much you love your babies! Love your little story too. I have found that most cats like chickens, all mine do as well,even my 3 dogs! I'm sorry about the loss of your beloved kitty. [​IMG] I'm sure that the flock of geese flying over really gave them a thrill! [​IMG] So glad you joined us!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  3. MageofMist

MageofMist Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    The hen has gone broody so I have become a chicken nanny, giving her food and water as well as taking her off the nest for toilet breaks, as she is very dedicated and refuses to budge otherwise.
    [​IMG]
    Even while broody, she is very sweet and when she does peck at me, they are very light so I barely feel it, which is good as at school I learned how hard these things can peck and had a bruise on my hand from a grumpy hen pecking me. XD The yellow egg is a dummy egg with a quail egg inside, a little experiment of mine.

The rooster has been doing well too, guarding the hen from the curious but harmless cat and acting all tough when I start to leave the room, 'chasing' me out until I turn around, then he freezes and walks away as if nothing happened. I will keep a close eye on him when the eggs hatch, but I have a strong feeling he'd make an amazing dad, as he even lets his mate crawl under him to sleep! The poor guy had to sleep standing up until his mate decided to go broody.

[​IMG]
    Also, this is the rooster when he was outside. Both the hen and rooster were very easy to herd back inside and came back in by themselves when it started getting dark, but once it started raining I needed to herd them in. They either went inside without any hassle, or they'd take me a few laps around the yard before deciding to head back in the house. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by