I got sneezing birds. What's the cause, what's the cure?

angi

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
northeast, IN
1) Initially two D'Uccles; now my Silkie, Old English, and all of my D'Uccles have shown symptoms.
2) Sneezing is the only clear symptom, one D'Uccle had some clear snot.
3) Sypmtoms have been present for four days.
4) Six out of 13 have showed symptoms/sneezed.
5) No trauma or broken bones.
6) I switched the birds water from softened to hydrant water. I also laid new straw bedding, which I do as needed and is not new to them.
7) The birds have been eating normally but I added apples and oats to their diet.
8) Poop looks normal.
9) I put Duramyacin in the water for the last four days. Also, feeding oats and apples.
10 ) There are no bird doctors here, I have to take care of them myself.

Listen under one of their wings, to their lungs for wheezing or crackles.....
Are these birds just pets or do you plan on breeding & selling?

Bird illnesses that spread are never a good sign, and most are spread easily and when or if recovered they can carry the illness and keep spreading it.

That said, I would contain all birds showing symptoms to one area, far away from any of your other birds.

Tylan 50 cattle injectable meds is the best for a respiratory illness, but understand you are only treating the symptoms.

Could their new bedding contain any dust or mold that normally wouldn't be in it?

I have had a few hens do the same thing...they do not act sick..good appetite, drink water, play. They just sneeze occasionally and a couple have had a little runny nose and you can hear a small bit of congestion in their noses. A friend told me that she felt it is a fungal resperatory infection as we have been plagued all spring and summer with a great deal of rain. She suggested I use Oxine to mist the coop and spray the chickens in the face to make sure they inhale it. I see this done at a lot of shows. Only thing is I do not know how to mix it in order to run it in a humidifier in the houses. What does everyone think?

MG or possibly MS are the most common causes and are big this time of year. Kinda like Chickenzoo was saying though, If it is these, no med will cure it. It is chronic meaning they will be carriers (transmitters) of it for life. The symptoms last 3 weeks or so and will go a way. But then other birds may get it latter on as these will be able to spread it to the others. 90% or better get over it and look fine, a few may died from it or secondary problems while they are pulled down fighting this.
No real good news to share if this is the problem. A blood test is the only way to know for sure though.

Good luck on them and at least keep some antibiotics in them while they are sickly.

Could just be dust, but seeing how 1-2 got it then over time others got it, It's most likely MG as it spreads very fast threw a flock

Back
Top Bottom