I got some year old hens last week but only one is laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BlaineWillard, Jul 29, 2010.

1. BlaineWillard

BlaineWillard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    North Carolina
    i got some year old hens last week but only one of them is laying. the others have made nest in the nesting boxes but no eggs. i have 2 RIR and 2 blask astroslopes. only one of the black astrosplopes are laying so far. is there somthing i can do to get them to start laying?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Practice a little patience. Any change in location, like a move, will upset a hen's laying. Chickens don't handle change well. They are slow to adapt. Give 'em a couple more weeks before trying to "induce" any laying.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Don't worry, that is normal. When a hen is moved to a new home, she will take some time--it could be a few weeks, to relax and become used to her new surroundings. Sometimes they lay at first, because there was an egg in their system already, and then they take a break for two weeks or so......

They should be laying again once they calm down and adapt.

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Thye need time to readjust.. Most older birds I have bought have taken a week or to two start to lay .. NOw i almost always get atleast one egg the first day or two but those are eggs that where already developed inside the hen.. i say give em a week or so lots of treats and some quiet time to get used toi their surrondings

5. BlaineWillard

Jul 26, 2010
    North Carolina
    ok thanks for the help i am kind of new to all of this. i was just wanting to find out if it was normal, i guess i just got to wait now.

6. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    I agree with all of the above replies and would add extreme heat. Chickens lay poorly in very hot weather, depending on your location this could be a contributing factor. The heat index today is 110 and my girls (14 of em) laid 5 eggs, usually 10-12 in the summer.

7. BlaineWillard

Jul 26, 2010
    North Carolina
    i live in nc it was about 95 here today but it has been hot for about a week .

8. Brown Farmer

Brown Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    If heat is the problem, it is because chickens eat till they meet their energy requirement. In hot weather they require more protein in the limited ration they consume.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by