I got suckered right into that ....lol

Discussion in 'Quail' started by conny63malies, Mar 12, 2013.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    There i am avoiding TSC and Orschelns like sucker so i dont have to stare at chicks i cant have - YET. That being said:

I went to one of the local asian markets today with my oldest daughter to get some groceries for dinner. Taylor went to look around a bit to see if she could find some strange asian sweets(she found them). She comes back with , yup you guessed it, a box of quail eggs. " Mom do you think those hatch? " How could i say no to her? At the best i end up with with 10 quail that i butcher when they are eight weeks at the worse we get nothing out of the egg. I got some time to finish the 6sqf brooder i was working on anyways. Now i just have to rig up a brooder real quick tomorrow. I got a shop lamp that i can use, a wooden box with a lid that i can use as a bator, now i just need a bulb, a thermostat, small fan(might be able to use a old Nintendo Wii cooler) and thermometer.

2. robopetz

robopetz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2012
    Hawaii
    Nice find! I went to an asian market looking to find some but no luck. Good luck with yours and keep us posted.

3. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    I got a good deal on ebay for my quail eggs, and had a decent hatch rate for the cost. 34 hatched and they were under $20 with shipping

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    We have deceided not to go for it after all. We plan on going to see friends for the weekend and we dont want to leave a home made bator alone for that long. That and the fact that we don't know how old the eggs are and if they are even fertile. But i will take my time with a homemade bator and the brooder once i am done with my coop.

5. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Quail EGGS are pretty tasty too :) Handsome hubby likes them pickled best. I like them fried, but it take about 6 of them to cover a piece of toast, lol

6. robopetz

robopetz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2012
    Hawaii

Aww... Well let us know how your bator comes along and what ends up going in the bator too. Lol

They are good, and VERY much more nutritious and better for you than a chicken egg. I have button quails that give me way too much eggs lol smaller but still edible and yummy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by