I got the call.....My INCUBATOR is in and ready for PICK UP! Now, a few additional questions lol

CowgirlHC

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 12, 2012
West Virginia
Hi everyone! I'm so excited I have taken the plunge into hatching eggs! I bought just a simple starter incubator to make sure I do well and like it before committing to a larger, more expensive unit. I already have a person wanting me to set some eggs for her. She realizes I'm a newbie and all, but is like me and is in no hurry and would rather go through a local farmer/producer than through a hatchery. I am in the process of getting my testing to be NPIP certified....week after next to be exact.....and the chicks I just purchased who are completely separate on different farms are from an NPIP location as well. I want to maintain that and get NPIP certified eggs to keep myself and those wanting hatched peeps safe. Where do you all get your eggs when you don't hatch your own? I know prices vary depending on breed, but what is a legitimate price for your dual purpose, brown egg layer breeds such as RIR, Barred Rocks, Black Australorps, etc? Again, I know this can vary greatly especially w/ shipping charges considered, but per egg or per dozen, what is a fair price? Selling eggs or peeps that are NPIP certified, does this show in the price as well? I'm excited to set my first chicks in a couple weeks after I set up my incubator and get everything regulated. If anyone has some tips for me as a first time egg setter I'd be greatly appreciative! Oh, also, if I buy these eggs to set for her, do I price the chicks to cover the eggs and my time/costs? See, totally new! Thanks again!

Hi! I just finished my first hatch (didn't go so well...) and am starting the second.

Tip 1, if in doubt aim for lower humidity. This batch I am dry incubating as about a quarter of my chicks for the last batch drowned in the shell.

Tip 2, use local eggs if possible. There is a thread for help with hatching shipped eggs but they can be a gamble. Try and get eggs from as close as possible and from similar elevation to yourself.

Reasonable price for your average brown layers is anywhere from 1-2 dollars per egg, at least around here. Fancier the breed and the rarer in your area the higher the price can go. Mixes around here are usually 2 or 3 dollars a doz.

Selling NPIP will increase your client base for other NPIP people and Joe Buyer may pay a touch more but again that depends on your area.

Thank you SO much for the tips Chick_In_The_Burbs! I'm sorry your first batch didn't go so well, maybe you will have better luck this time around. And thank you for the link udovichtony, I will be saving that page!

thumbsup.gif
I did too!

Back
Top Bottom