I got the call that said, "Hey babe, do we have baby chickens?" *pics*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HB&B, Sep 22, 2010.

1. HB&B

HB&B Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Woodlawn, TN
    On my drive home from work my fiance called me. He said I hear baby chicks. I was so excited. So I came home to 2 out of 5 chicks out of their eggs. Two cute fuzzy black chicks.
    Chick #1
    [​IMG]
    My son and Chick #2 (I think)
    [​IMG]
    Chick #2
    [​IMG]
    Buffy and her (2) one day old chicks
    [​IMG]

2. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Oh how adorable, keep us updated on the other ones!

3. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    They're adorable!

4. Sootsie

Sootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    sooo cute

5. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Aw bless isn't it gorgeous!!

6. Kasia

Kasia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    New Orleans
    They are adorable!

7. HB&B

HB&B Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Woodlawn, TN
    Thx everyone. I'll check on the other 3 after I get off and keep you all posted. I didn't expect them to hatch until Saturday! [​IMG] I moved mom and babies and 3 eggs into a bird cage with food and water some hay and a small cut fleece blanket so hopefully that will do the trick. Any tips for brand new chicks?!? [​IMG]

8. Kasia

Apr 9, 2007
    New Orleans
    Yes, lots of hugging, snuggling, kissing and spoiling. [​IMG]

9. HB&B

HB&B Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Woodlawn, TN
    I came home to 1 more. I move 1 mama into a bird cage type thing. with food and water for her and the chicks. I came home and there was one Brown bantam chick (newby) coming up to me in the coop it self. So it must have been from the other hen. I took little guy and put him in with my other hen Buffy and she seemed to accept him ok. I put him under her wing. It was coop up time then. The other hen didn't seem to miss it she was still sitting on 1 viable egg. I need to find another enclosure for mama to stay in with her chicks. It wouldn't be possible to put them both in the same right? Its like 2 1/2 feet wide by 1 foot deep by 1 foot tall. I'd think it'd be too small for both of them their chicks and food and water.

10. Kasia

Apr 9, 2007
    New Orleans
    No, it would be a pretty tight squeeze for both mamas. Maybe you could put another enclosure next to this one? One of my seramas, Cleo, has fostered so many babies. We run a bird rescue and get calls from the humane society when they get baby chicks. I would take them and stick them under Cleo and she always took to them. It was amazing. And these chicks weren't seramas, so they got bigger than her really fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by