1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I got the eggs... now what?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by L.L Farm, May 18, 2011.

1. L.L Farm

L.L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Maine
    So I got my first eggs sent to me, and they just arrived. 30 Orpington eggs. Thing is, this is the first time I ever had eggs shipped to me. The incubator has been running steady for a little more than a day now... but what do I have to do with the eggs? Some people told me to let the shipped eggs sit for a day, some told me to put them in once the incubator is steady. Whats best?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It is normally best to let them rest a day or at least overnight before you put them in the incubator. They often get shaken up or spend a lot of time in a position where the pointy end is not down. So keep them with the pointy end down, gently turn them a few times, and give them a chance to stabilize. Mainly you are letting the air sac sort itself out.

The first few days in the incubator are very important. If you don't have the right temperatures, humidity, or turning, you can wind up with deformed chicks or much lower hatch rates. Shipped eggs are usually harder anyway due to the rough handling and spending time not pointy end down. Letting them stabilize a day helps some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by