I got the Silkies!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Fiwi, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Fiwi

Fiwi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    Maryland
    About a month ago I joined BYCF and posted about the idea of keeping 2 Silkies in a neighborhood where it is forbidden. I decided to go for it and brought home 2 Silkie chicks when we came home from Maine. I'm not too worried about the neighborhood b/c we are moving at the end of Nov., so I should be able to keep them under wraps until then. I have an 8' fence to keep the nosy neighbors out.

A friend of mine ordered several chicks all of which were supposed to be white. Judging by their coloring, including the 2 I got from her, I highly doubt they are. Opinions?

right now I have a simple set up using a play yard and Dogloo. I live in MD, so it's still mild here. I am hoping to get an classic Eglu before the cold comes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    Ummmmm...I don't think yours are white, and if hers look the same neither are they. The one on the left looks partridge, the one on the right buff. Just my opinion, but I do have silkies....cute little buggers!

3. Maureen&chickens

Maureen&chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Townsend
    I have white and yours are definitely NOT [​IMG]

I agree with the partridge and buff assessment.

4. Fiwi

Fiwi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    Maryland
    No surprise there. Thanks for the color names. I thought one was buff, but wasn't sure about the other. Maybe once I settle I can get a couple of whites :)

Regarding roosting -- I've heard Silkies prefer the ground to roosting and that certainly seems the case with my two. Should I be concerned with the fact that they don't roost?

What's the lowest temp my chicks can tolerate in the dogloo? I want to be sure they're comfortable. I can put a door on it if need be. Tonight is supposed to be 56ยบ, but night temps go back up to the mid 60s tomorrow.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  5. bigdogmom130

bigdogmom130 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    [​IMG]

Where in MD are u? I live in MD too. I have a 9 week old Blue Silkie Roo and he has turned out to be a sweetheart. He likes to lay in the nesting box with my little BO..lol He has roosted though and also uses the outside roost. Your Silkies are adorable. [​IMG]

6. Fiwi

Fiwi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    Maryland
    Quote:I'm on the Eastern shore. I get up your way from time to time.

7. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    Your little silkies are cute but I would put some sort of a door for safety at night when predators even a cat are out looking for food

8. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Your silkies are really pretty! I don't think I've ever seen a partridge one before. I used to have bearded silkies----white, black, grey, and blue. I would love to get some next spring. Good luck with yours! (That's a cute little set-up you have for them!)[​IMG]

9. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG] partridge and buff for sure!! Good luck with your lil sweeties [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by