I got the squat!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lizrndiver, Sep 14, 2009.

1. lizrndiver

lizrndiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    South Beloit, IL
    Okay so I have a BR pullet that adopted us over the summer. I have never really known how old she is. I even finally met the girl who hatched her and she couldn't remember when she hatched the egg.

I figure she is about 18 weeks old now based upon comparing her to other chickens with ages I knew. However, she is supposed to be the largest hen of my group when full grown and she is still smaller than my 14 week old Buff Sussex.

Last week I noticed she was starting to grow her waddles and her comb was getting bigger. I also noticed a slight increase in their redness. I made DH help me try to feel her pelvic bones (no luck...all I feel is feathers, feathers, and more feathers).

But tonight after I had left them out to free range a bit, I was rounding them up and when I went to grab her she squatted!!!

I know this is nothing definitive, but I am excited to think she may start to lay soon!!!

Liz

[​IMG]

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    they are so funny when they do that! yep, will be laying soon, got any pics of her to share?

3. lizrndiver

lizrndiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    South Beloit, IL
    I just have some old ones. I will try to get some newer ones this week. I should be doing that anyway just to show how they all are changing.

Liz

4. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    I have a female or two that do the "Groucho Marx walk."
    Is that what you mean by squat?
    It happened when I scolded a 12 week-old female -- she did the funny Groucho walk. No other laying behavior yet.

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    if you reach towards them, rather than move away they flatten down on the ground, easy to pick them up too...[​IMG]

6. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    We call it "tub thumping"

7. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My Cuckoo Maran tries her darndest to avoid the chicken squat. She will run, and jump and fly, but if i time it just right, she'll get caught, and she'll squat... and then I have her!

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    chickensducks&agoose :

My Cuckoo Maran tries her darndest to avoid the chicken squat. She will run, and jump and fly, but if i time it just right, she'll get caught, and she'll squat... and then I have her!

My buttercup does the same. She hates being handled.

lzrndiver...........Congrats! Eggs are coming soon.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by