I got them!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by doghamstyluv95, May 22, 2007.

1. doghamstyluv95

doghamstyluv95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    we finally got the chicks and they are pure cuteness!! we found one dead when we opened the box [​IMG] but they rest are happy and eating and drinking well. can you guys help with me figure out which breeds are which? that would be really helpful. i know which ones are RIR and black silkie but i need help with the rest.

ok here they are :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i have more than those which i will post a little later. but when they poop, you can kinda hear a little farting type sound and the poop looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    is this normal? if its not, what should i do?

2. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    My chicks did the little fart and squirt too. And it did look like what you have in your hand. As they get older and eating more it gets more solid and a lot bigger!!!

The chicks are cuties!!!

3. JamieandShady

JamieandShady Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2007
    Oak Hill TX
    I'm not sure but I gave mine oatmeal. Its high in protein so it makes the stools more solid.

4. doghamstyluv95

Apr 28, 2007
    ok thx!! but do you guys know what breed each chick is?

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Okay the first pic looks like a Barred Plymouth Rock-did you order those? The second big pic is a Silver Laced Wyandotte. The one with the eyeliner could be an Easter Egger. So many chicks look alike that if we had a list of what you ordered, it may help. Are they all standard sizes?

6. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I would wait on the oatmeal until they're a little older. You don't want their poop to be to solid because that can lead to a lot of pasty butts (not good). I think right now they are to young for anything other than chick feed. They have everything they need in their chick starter feed.

As far as the breeds, I don't know. Sorry.

7. doghamstyluv95

Apr 28, 2007
    speckled hen, i did order one Barred Rock and 1 Silver laced Wyandotte. as far as the easter egger, i didnt order the easter egger.

here is the list:
    1 Barred Plymouth
    1 Silver Laced Wyandotte
    2 Golden Laced Wyandottes
    1 Golden Campine
    1 Buff Brahma
    1 Black Silkie
    2 Australorps
    1 RIR
    1 Speckled Sussex

8. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    The Silver Laced Wyandotte is the one with the two Bride of Frankenstein type silver streaks down the black and although I can't tell in the pictures on here, my Golden Campine has what looks like leopard spots. Here she is, maybe it'll help you (she's my favourite):

[​IMG]

And here's my SLW for comparison:

[​IMG]

Also want to reiterate about the poop. The foamy-ness startled me at first as well, but you have to remember that this is there first bits of food. It will get more solid as they start eating. I can see the white bit and it looks pretty healthy to me [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  9. doghamstyluv95

Apr 28, 2007
    thx! that helps a lot! and i think i know which one is my golden campine now:D

and they sent us an extra chick and that chick is the one that looks like a chipmunk and has the eyeliner, shes a welsummer.....

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Ah, Speckled Sussex have eyeliner and a reddish, chipmunky look, so that one is probably SS. I have eight of them that are five weeks old now. The Buff Brahma should be easy-sort of caramel color with feathers on its legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by