I got turkeys!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Blondie, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

Just picked up a couple of bronze breasted turkeys yesterday. The feed store had people there selling chickens, rabbits, turkeys, etc. They are about 5 weeks old and cost $10 each. They make these high pitched cheeping noises. I'm hoping to have the nerve to eat them at Thanksgiving.

I wanted a Tom and Jen, so the guy does the "string test". He swears by it. We'll see.

I have them in a separate coop until they get as big as the chickens. The chickens and goats are very curious.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Yeah, you will love your turkeys. Maybe you could name them Thanksgiving and Christmas!
    What is the "string test"?

3. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

The string test is where you hold a string with a weight on it (like a nail) over the chicken and if it swings back and forth it is male. If it swings in a circle it's female.

Just like the old days before ultrasounds, we would do that to pregnant woman. It was right 50% of the time! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  4. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Oh! I was ready to grab some string. [​IMG]
    I'll just wait until I hear gobbling.
    And your turks look great, by the way! They are fun birds.

5. EboyDog

EboyDog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2007
    Hallsville MO
    I have 5 turkeys which are my first and I too had visions of Thanksgiving feast in my mind when I bought them but I'm trying so hard to stick to my rule of not naming anything I plan to eat but it's getting so hard esp when they gather around me when I walk under the apple tree all due to the fact that me and my 5 year have figured out they LOVE summer apples (of course it's only my nature to cut chucks of apples for them and feed them by hand!!).

6. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    We have 6 adult turkeys and several younger ones. 2 of my toms will be for thanksgiving and Christmas. IT doesnt take long to figure out who will go when they chase the cars and poo on my DH truck, that is a death sentence right there. LOL But as far as naming them you just have to give them food names. We had 2 pigs we raised to butcher ans we named them ham and bacon. The kids understood right from the start. Jen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by