I Got two Royal Palms today, 7 Months old Male/Female, Hope it works out.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Joe.G, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    I picked up a Male and a Female today both are about 7 Months, they are real nice looking, hope they work out On my homestead. They are for Pet's not for food.

Any Tips?

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Congrats!

Keep them penned up for a month (if you let them range stay nearby) they need to learn where food water and roosting location is. Don't know what your pred pop/load is so can only mention that raccoon's and Great Horned Owls will take RP's that roost in nearby trees or outside roosts in uncovered pen.

Ours are locked in at night (shed). They go there on their own (not much more difficult to train than dogs).

Feed them treats by hand (grapes are a favorite, here). Spend as much time as possible around them during the first few months to habituate them. If they were hand raised by other humans they'll be more sociable, in general.

Good luck!

the GAM turkey thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/92240/give-me-the-dirt-on-turkeys

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  3. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    They were raised in a huge encloser with Deer,Peacocks and a bunch of Turkeys, they were fed twice a day and would come right over to who ever was feeding them so they are used to people, but I do plan to spend time everyday with them since I do want to make sure they are very friendly. I have gotten these because I have heard they can be very friendly and my kids love to have the fowl we have fowl them around and what not.

4. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    I love my RP! Turkeys are BIG not just in size but personality as well! Good luck with your birds!

5. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    SInce your going to be keeping them for a long time, they are going to breed. Do you know if they are siblings? If they are, you may not want them to breed, but may want to introduce some different genetic material. Consider trading one of them if they are too closely related. (they may be siblings from a pair whose offspring were mated back to one of the parents and those offspring may have been mated back as well. If that is the case, they are getting to be too related).

6. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    That is a good question, I did not even think of that, I'll have to check, I know he has three or four toms, and a bunch of adult females. Now I am not into inbreeding but I do know that in some animals it is done and not considered a problem, what issues does it cause or can cause with turkeys?

7. De Wet

De Wet Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes would also like to know what is the disatvantage inbreeding turkeys...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by