1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I gotta convince my parents to move to a farm

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by safarichick101, Jan 1, 2010.

1. safarichick101

safarichick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    My love for farm animals is too strong. We already live on close to 3 acres but I want to be able to raise my chickens legally. Thinking about the prospect makes me itch. [​IMG]

So does anyone have any good excusses? I'd feel like such a spoiled brat if they fell for it. [​IMG]

Will someone give me advice as to the pros of living on a farm so i can "convince" my parents to move to one? I know they could afford it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    MMMMM...You could grown your own food..... Mmm...Mom I promise I'd take care of the animals...

In some states, if you have enough acres you can get a homesteading exemption if you promise to live there a certain number of years and that it's farm land.

Mom and Dad, we could rent our city house and buy the country house... YOu could make some money by selling some of your veggies and eggs....

It's a clean way of living....

Oh I don't know.......Just that they'd love it.

Take them to visit some farms....

Tell them you want to Join the 4H and be a vet ==== only if it's true....

I tried to get my parents to move from the City of Atlanta many long years ago, but now I'm finally in the country after all these years.....Wish I'd moved sooner.

Well good luck! Keep me posted.

Happy New Year!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

There are a lot of good things to be said about living on acreage but this is something your parents will have to decide if they can handle, and not just financially. First off, are they interested at all in this idea? Are they able, and do you and they have the time to handle all the work required of a larger property with more animals as well as being able to handle tractors and equipment needed to do certain jobs on a larger place? There are a gazillion things to take into consideration so it's hard to give you reasons to present to them without knowing your families interests, experience and abilities. Moving to a larger property/farm can be a wonderful experience or it can be a nightmare that leaves you broke.

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Are you sure your chickens are illegial? 3 acres is alot, many laws have exemptions based on land size.

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

You could keep 2 miny cows on that much land... Check, chickens should be ok.

6. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    I'm still convincing my mom to get at least a small flock of chickens, like my dad has. [​IMG] She hasn't said yes, but she has agreed to let me hatch eggs at her house. Once she sees those little baby chicks, I'm sure she'll want some of her own! [​IMG]

7. safarichick101

safarichick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    Well my dad's job is breeding wheat and sorugum.. so I don't see why he would say no.

8. Christmas13

Christmas13 New Egg

Dec 26, 2013
    It really works!!! I'm moving in a week:)

9. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    It might be a better starting point to advocate for chicken legality rather then to pressure your parents to move. It may be that you are already exempt from any chicken restrictions on three acres.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by