I gotta leave my babies for two weeks :(

priss

Songster
10 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Isle of Wight
So I'm going to visit my sister in America for two weeks this Friday.
wee.gif

Butttttttt I gotta leave my little sweetpeas for two whole weeeeks
hit.gif

They're gonna go see their momma...well Doogie's gonna go see his momma, Rory and Mr. Snoogles are gonna see the bath tub where they grew up!
There's gonna be boy ducks there too so they are gonna have themselves a GREAT time!!!

I'm just aworryin...
What if they don't wanna come home?
What if they forget who I am?
What if they stop bein spoiled brats?!!!
lol.png

What if they run away from me when they see me again?

Anyone here tell me their experience of goin on holiday an leeevin their babies?

Two whole weeks - I couldnt bare being away form my ducks that long. I just postponed a weekend trip interstate to see my family as I couldnt leave my special little Regie at home.

Last time I did go away for more than a weekend was just for a week, four years ago. I had a little Pekin duck at the time. As soon as I got home I raced out the back to see her. I sat down on the ground- and she came over to sit in my lap- as she always used to do..... And then bit me HARD. It was alomost like she was saying-Dont you ever leave me again. But after that first welcome home episode. Everything was back to normal.

Two weeks may be long enough to find a few changes when you get back- but I dare say everything should get back to normal with your ducks within a few days of you all being home again.
A bit of extra attention and a few treats will work well to put them at ease after the return home. Dont worry- they will want to be back home again with you. They will miss you as much as you miss them.

I took a hand raised goose up to a country property about 18 months ago. And she still remembers me- even though I only see her once a month when we drive past. She sees the car and comes running over for a chat.

Enjoy your trip,

I will make sure I wear gloves!!! Mr. Snoogles is super smart so I will expect to be bitten by him!
Thank you for this. I really hate to leave them. The holiday was booked before I even knew we were getting ducks. My husband sprung them on me from NOWHERE. And now they are my little world!
I will stop at the supermarket on the way home and get a mountain of peas, cucumber and cabbage!

41074_p1300341.jpg

Awwwwww it today. I'm goin today. They are goin to their momma's house at 12.00. I don't wanna leeeeeeeave them.#

I have just had two weeks home with my babies, And have to go back to work on Monday- I have planed a day trip for Sunday- and have decided to take some along with me for the drive. I know I will miss mine when I go back to work- but at least I am only gone 9 hours a day, and still get to see them.

Take lots of photos with you, and if the minders have a cell phone you can ring and speak to them too. That what i do with my daughter. I ring her from work, and ask her to take the phone to the ducks so I can hear them.
lau.gif

Two weeks seems so long now- But once you start your trip- the time wil go faster.
I might have to set up web cam before I could ever leave all of mine behind.

It seems everytime i leave my ducks for a few days when i come back they are a little mad at me like their saying, "Oh momma i missed you, where were you missy?!? I thought you got eaten by a fox!!!"

But some of my ducks, like ming mei gets extra lovey dovey when i come home.

I don't know about ducks, but when I was in the hospital last year for 5 days, my GW macaw apparently missed me. She was a rescue/rehome that had never let me touch her without a nip at least. When I did get home she said 'I love you." I had never heard her say that before. Then, she promptly tried to break my wrist. lol She has been much more friendly (for her, at least) since then.
I am quite sure your ducks will remember you and be thrilled to see you again, even if they have to get a nip in there somewhere. Birds are like toddlers and they can't express their frustration in words, so they strike out. Once they do, it's over. Have a great time, try not to worry about your babies and then really love them up when you get home.
Have a safe trip!

Thaaank you guys. You're really helpin to put my mind at rest. I'm totally gonna call and check on em as often as I think I can get away with! I think Mr. Snoogles is the kind of duck who's gonna get mad at me when I get back! Doogie might have forgotten me and Rory will probably be extra lovey, at least that's how their little personalities lean! Today is the first day they have seen the grass under the snow and they're jumpin about all excited, it's makin me feel like an even more bad mom! Poor little things got no ducky idea I'm leavin em
sad.png

On the plus side they're climbin on top of each other in the waterbowl so they are gonna love hangin out with those boy ducks. In my mind I can see the boy ducks runnin a mile with my duckies chasin
lol.png

Molly's a spirited one, she is.
big_smile.png

Actually, she was 'mishandled' and is now terrified of hands. We're working on it. Someday, people will understand that animals should not be (and many can not be) beaten into submission. Molly's only 6 years old. I figure I have at least 30 years to teach her to trust again. *sigh* By then, I'll be too old and senile to remember how to handle a companion animal with a can opener attached to her face.

oops, and now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom