I grabbed the wrong feed at the store- will this hurt them until I can buy more?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Calix, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Calix

Calix In the Brooder

Sep 7, 2012
    I have 16-week-old chickens, 4 hens and a rooster. They're supposed to be on grower/finisher, but I accidentally grabbed starter/grower instead, which is for younger birds. Would it be okay to feed them this feed until they're ready for layer in two weeks? If not, can I feed them this until I can buy grower/finisher?

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

It's fine, it's all basically the same thing, the protein content may be a little different but they'll do fine on it.

3. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Yes they will do just fine on starter. The only difference, other than the protein level, is the grower/finisher in my feed, is not ground as fine. I am feeding mash though. If you are on pellets, there won't be any difference to worry about.

As I understand it, the higher protein level in starter, is to help the bird to grow quickly. They need all of that protein as fast as they change in the first six weeks or so. The grower/finisher is used as a holding feed, to let the bird fill out to size without putting on excess weight. Of course I am speaking of laying birds not meat birds.

Somewhere between about 16 to 18 weeks you move to laying feed, and the formula changes once again.

Hope this helps some, the above is just best practice, not a hard and fast rule. Chickens don't care much, as long as they do get fed.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

4. Calix

Calix In the Brooder

Sep 7, 2012
    Thank you! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to poison anyone :p They seemed to like it well enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: