I guess 3 times is the charm..:) I am excited TY BYC

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by StormyMoon, Nov 13, 2010.

1. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    1st time I incubated eggs out of 24 I only got 6 [​IMG]
    2nd time I incubated eggs out of 27 I only got a few also [​IMG]
    3rd time I incubated eggs I got 24 out of 30

Summer is when I started I am using a home made incubator and a LG incubator so yes temps in the house were very warm causing incubator to flux really bad ...Then at the end of summer I tried again........

Now it is really cool here in Texas so I didn't have to worry about hot temps but worry about the temp going to low and very low humidity. I am learning as I go and I want to thank all of you on BYC for all your researches, and added info cause it really is helping me understand the process more.

24 out of 30 may not be a big deal to many but I am so excited not to mention 3 were clear infertile, and 3 some how just didn't develop.

1 of the chicks that hatched a little late 2nd to last was born without an eye and his/her top beak turned to one side. I don't know what could have caused this but he/she is so sweet and he/she doesn't let the other chicks push him/her around. We named him/her Popeye he/she loves eating out of our hand but we have to help him/her some with water, he/she uses the tongue to lift the feed out of our hands.

I wish I could get pictures out like I did before but my lap top wire was busted a few months ago and I don't own a camera.

But any ways Thank you to all of the BYC members who has given so much info to help all of us with our chickens and hatches.

[​IMG]

2. josiemare

josiemare Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Congrats....that is great news. Thanks for sharing.

I have my fingers crossed now. I am at day 16 and I am 10/10 so far!

Post a pic if you can!

3. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Congrats!!! [​IMG] Popeye sounds like such a sweetie! I would love to see some pics if you are able to do so in the future. Bless you for taking such good care of him. [​IMG]
    I agree! I don't know how I would have managed without this site!

4. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Yea Popeye is very special we keep round clock check on her/him we hope she/he grows up to be a big Buff Orpington happy and healthy.

I will try and post some pics soon.....I just need to find a universal plug for my lap top... a lot of the chicks look like the one in my avatar.
    I believe I have 2 BR chicks solid black with white dot on the head. The others are BO x BO, BO x RIR , BO x Australorp , and
    BO x Cucu Maran, I know for sure many of them are BO x BO lots of yellow chicks lol....and boy they are loud when we refill the feeder.

5. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    If they look like the one in avatar, you got some very cute babies there!!!
    I have been thinking, I have alot more in the bator that are more successful in growth so far than what I had when the weather was warmer. I wonder if the cooler weather has something to do with it? Mine are due to hatch next Thursday.
    I believe sometimes humidity levels and such during incubation can sometimes cause the crossbeak and other deformities. I had alot of trouble with my humidity in my last hatch. I only had three hatch and they hatched on day 25 & 26. They appear OK but the last one to hatch has one less toe than he should have.
    I am glad you had alot better success this time and hopefully mine will be the same as you next week! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by