I guess I joined the cheap club

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by piecemaker, Apr 24, 2008.

1. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    My youngest son works part time for a trailer manufacturing company, as in flat bed trailers. A few weeks ago he took our 16 foot flat bed to put a new axel on it. When it was ready he called to tell us to come get it. And by the way I put some boards on it for you thought you could find a use for them. He said normally they pay some one to haul them off. Here is a picture of the few boards he put on the trailer.Some are 6-8 or 10 foot 2x6 and 2x8. There are a few 2x12 and 2x8 treated
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

edit to say not bad for $70 in gas

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  2. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    I think I see a whole new coop there. [​IMG]

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

wow! you were really blessed there! As high as lumber prices are, that is a fantastic bonus! Hope you can put it to good use! *as if anyone w/ chickens wouldn't have a use for extra lumber...* LOL

4. piecemaker

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    He told us they get a shipment of trailers every 2 weeks and have that much wood or more each time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Cheep Mama

Cheep Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Michigan
    Wow! What a nice surprise!! What do you think you'll build??

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Sweet find! I'd love to have access to that much wood! [​IMG]

7. CoopDelisle

CoopDelisle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Gulf Coast
    Oh the possibilities! [​IMG] I love it when stuff like that (rarely) happens!

8. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    That's a great find! We've got a guy up the road (3 miles or so) that has a wood mill. Anything with a bit of bark on the other side that he cuts goes into this HUGE pile. Anything in that pile is FREE! He just burns it otherwise. It's not treated lumber, but hey, it'd do in a pinch. Both sides are usually flat!We went to price his 'real' lumber yesterday and 2"x6"x8' studs are $1.50 each! [​IMG]

I say use up that wood and tell son when he's coming for a visit to just keep loading up whatever he can and bring it with him! So..what're ya gonna build?

Stacy

9. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    looks like some new chickens are in the future

10. piecemaker

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    DH said a tool shed was in the making. I was keeping all the yard tools in the barn, BUT you know how that goes. It is to for to go at the end of the day when you know you are going to need the same tools tomorrow. They just seem to collect behind the coop. So he wants to put me a tool shed behind the coop we built for the fluffy butts last year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by