I guess I'll introduce myself

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by politicalcenter, Feb 11, 2015.

1. politicalcenter

politicalcenter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2015
    Hi everyone! I found this forum on the internet when I was researching channel catfish and stumbled on a post about catfish in a 55 gallon drum. I was going to reply and that is why I joined. We have chickens too! We also have two sows, two cows, koi, goldfish catfish and bluegill. But honestly, my obsession right now is fish. I wanted to tell people how I went about starting my little fish farm.

I have a neighbor that had a bunch of cement blocks in back of his house so I ask him how much he would take for them. He gave them to me. And after feeling guilty I gave him half a pig in return. The blocks were enough to build a 2,000 gallon pond and enough left over for a 1,000 gallon addition. I started in spring and finished in the fall because I have a day job. I left the ponds empty over inter and now one leaks and the other is lined with plastic and no leaks. The 1.000 gallon pond is just waiting for the final cosmetic work and fish. I also made a 294 gallon tank in my shed that has a pump,filter, and 200 bluegill...some goldfish and 8 small koi.

I used a 110 gallon livestock tank for the filter and I use sandstone from the nearby mountain as a filter media. The pump is placed in the filter and it pulls water from a siphon ( just two 2 inch pipe with 90 degree elbows ) and the water returns at the bottom of the tank through a 3/4 spray bar. It seems to work pretty well. This is my indoor tank. It was built with chipboard and double lined with polyethylene plastic 4mil. I formed it with studs (on the outside and tied the corners together) for support. Since it is inside I reckon the plastic will hold up and not degrade because it gets little sunlight. I also have a 2ft by 4 ft by 2ft tank with a couple goldfish for "seasoning".

I also have two small ponds by the house with goldfish and bigger koi. No filters or pumps.....just fish.

Well....that's my story and I'm stickin to it.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock"

Good luck with your fish and chickens!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. I have a small fish pond myself. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your fish and chickens.

5. Bloveschickens

Bloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! Nice to have you join us.

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

10. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!

Going here, will help you get around BYC!!! Has loads of info on how to get around the site!

How to insert pictures on BYC!!!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by