I guess I'm only here for comfort

xtinedodge

Chirping
Mar 14, 2019
Hi. I found my one year old easter egger in the coop this morning, having died in the night. I understand it's a tale as old as time but its new to me and it hurts. She was a plucky, happy, vocal, sweet baby girl. It has been quite hot here - 80s/90s - and I have an industrial fan going for the girls, as well as ice cubes in their water, cold fruit and vegetables. I know there is no answer as to what happened to her. She was not quite right about two or three days prior to her passing, but nothing significant, you know, just not herself. She was eating enough, active enough. Yesterday I noticed her getting picked on by one of the other hens, which was strange, and I separated them to allow Bernie time to eat and relax. I woke up extra early this morning to make sure Bernadette had enough space right when she woke up to move about freely and have peace and enjoy some breakfast -- and truly, given the level of friction, I'm not sure anyone would have separated them - I'm just second guessing everything. Can we start a support group for people who are grieving? Most don't understand and it makes it layered and difficult to talk about. I lost one of my babies today.

I’m so sorry to hear that Bernadette passed. I haven’t experienced a loss yet, as I’m brand new to chickens, but I know it will happen in the future and I dread it - I’ve become so close to my little flock of 10. I know them so well and they are individually so deep in my heart. The thought of not having one single chicken that I have grown to love and know for the past few months breaks my heart. I am so sorry you are going through this. Although I can’t know the pain, I can imagine it and wish I could reach out to you with a comforting hug - I know you did your very very best for sweet Bernie and I KNOW and am comforted by the knowledge that she is in a BETTER PLACE right now. I know you miss her, but please know she is in the hands of God, whatever that means to any one individual.

Hi. I found my one year old easter egger in the coop this morning, having died in the night. I understand it's a tale as old as time but its new to me and it hurts. She was a plucky, happy, vocal, sweet baby girl. It has been quite hot here - 80s/90s - and I have an industrial fan going for the girls, as well as ice cubes in their water, cold fruit and vegetables. I know there is no answer as to what happened to her. She was not quite right about two or three days prior to her passing, but nothing significant, you know, just not herself. She was eating enough, active enough. Yesterday I noticed her getting picked on by one of the other hens, which was strange, and I separated them to allow Bernie time to eat and relax. I woke up extra early this morning to make sure Bernadette had enough space right when she woke up to move about freely and have peace and enjoy some breakfast -- and truly, given the level of friction, I'm not sure anyone would have separated them - I'm just second guessing everything. Can we start a support group for people who are grieving? Most don't understand and it makes it layered and difficult to talk about. I lost one of my babies today.
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost a hen last year still don't know why. Sometimes there is no answer. I got some EE this year and they are so cute. Just know you gave her the best life a chicken can have, I HATE this part of animal ownership. :hugs

:hugs
I have not been able to figure out why anybody in their right mind would have chickens. Obviously, I an not in my right mind, because I have 26 hens and pullets , a cockerel and a rooster. Yeasterday I had 27 hens and pullets. I don't have any idea whet happened to my sweet little Rainboe (yes, she was named after @EmmaRainboe) and was only 8 months old. When I went to close gates and doors last evening, I found her lying, not altogether peacefully, at the base of the old redbud tree. Food and water were close by and there was no sign of injury. Had she choked on something? It was not as hot today as it was all last week. She seemed fine that morning. I just don't know. Today I find I am not so much sad as mad. Perhaps this is how I grieve. I wasn't done with her yet, dammit! How dare Death come creeping into my turf and take something of mine without warning! Chickens actually HELP me stay in my right mind. They are so ... harmless. I just want to protect them, care for them, keep them safe.

I guess it's me I'm mad at. I failed her. I'm sorry, Rainboe. 💔

Back
Top Bottom