1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I guess they do love warm mash!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Reinbeau, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Simple Life a.k.a. Natalie had told me how wild her chooks went for warm mash, just their own feed mixed with hot water - of course I doctored it up with some birdseed and scratch - I think she does, too. They went wild for it! It's frigid out there, 17 now but earlier it was below 10, and I felt sorry for them (yea, I know, they're birds, but they're giving me such lovely eggs even in this winter weather) so I made some up and brought it out - they loved it! I know some of you hard core chicken raisers think some of us are nuts to spoil them, but I don't have 300, I only have 15, and they give me a lot of pleasure and satisfaction. It warms my heart to see them dive in like that!

2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Oh yeah! Mine love it! I am only down to one right now, but she absolutely LOVES oatmeal with whole kernal corn mixed in it. I was stirring it and stirring it trying to cool it down for her to eat, and she jumped up on the counter and was trying to figure out where to jump onto me to eat it right away. I thought she was going to jump on my face! LOL!

I've tried mixing the millet scratch into it, but she will eat around it. Although she loves the scratch on its own, as a treat. In the mornings, I just make a big pot of oatmeal for the kids and Petunia. At first the kids were jealous, then they realized that it meant they got a consistent hot breakfast, rather than cold cereal! [​IMG] [​IMG] I look at it this way, poor Petunia has to sleep outside, so she deserves a hot meal to get her day going! LOL! In the summer she gets yogurt. [​IMG]

Shelly

3. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    For me there's nothing finer than standing out in the pen on a 20 degree morning in my muck boots watching the girls dive into their warm mash! The steam rises off their little plastic plates, and they make those satisfied little clucks. . . nice warm tummies are a great way to start a cold winter's day!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I've been making up hot oatmeal and taking it out but it cools off so fast with it being 11deg outside in the mornings! They do love it though and dive right in!

I'm ready for normal TN weather and not this freaky cold! I shouldn't be dealing with frozen waterers this early in winter!!!

5. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Ain't that the truth. Eight degrees in December is just WRONG. This morning was positively balmy (29) after that.

6. mcg30_40

mcg30_40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    alabama
    And I thought I was doing good taking out warm water for my birds. *Sigh* good thing mine can't talk to ya'lls....I'd be disowned [​IMG]

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Hmmm id give anything for 8 degrees, the past few days here have been in the -35 with the windchill. I have been making scrambled eggs with cheese for the chickens outside but the hot mash sounds like a better and easier idea i may just have to try that today

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I give our girls warm oatmeal, but sometimes if I wonder if they'd like it just as well all cold and congealed. Do you think they notice the difference?

9. Redtopranch

Redtopranch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2008
    We had some "Malt-O-Meal" that our kids would not eat. As I read the box it is high in Vit. C and also B's. Made some... mixed birdseeed, scratch, and black oil sunflower seeds. Took it out to them warm and had 20 of my girls push me out of the way and dove right in. They loved it. My wife is worried about me! [​IMG]

Merry Christmas everyone!

Paul

10. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    I have this Mennonite friend and he heats his house with a wood stove. He sets a bucket of chicken feed and left over milk from his milking beside his stove every night. The next morning he gives the entire bucket to his chickens. They love it and lay really nice eggs all winter. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by