I guess today I was the predator...or maybe it was the rooster??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BarefootMom, May 11, 2011.

1. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    He had this rooster whom I was a bit scared of myself because his spurrs are so long and he was kinda off standish. He was very protective of his girls-a bit too protective. I have a 2 year old daughter and an almost 4 year old son. Yesterday he flogged both kids but didn't hurt them...my husband kicked the rooster pretty hard thinking that would teach him...

This morning while doing chores the kids were outside playing in their sandbox. The rooster went over there and flogged my son and flogged my daughter putting a puncture wound on the inside of her elbow! I took a board and whacked him and then he flogged her again this time leaving a puncture wound above her left knee!! I made the kids go into the house and I grabbed the first thing I saw...a .22

I unloaded the clip into him.

I should have known better...his name was Satan after all
    [​IMG]

All we have left in the rooster dept now is one black silkie...whome my girls peck at. [​IMG] Guess I really don't need a working rooster though. My 2 drakes are pretty protective.

2. ForgottenGlen

ForgottenGlen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Raeford, NC
    Don't feel bad, the rooster was definitely the predator here.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah...a mean rooster wouldn't last long here either...

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

There are plenty of young roos who could be great roos if givn the chance. Mean roos taste the best. [​IMG]

I would also recomend teaching your kids proper roo interaction. When walking near hens with the roo nearby always keep you eyes on the roo and dont turn you back.

5. luvmesomechicks

luvmesomechicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Only mistake here is not culling after his first attack on your loved ones. Roo got what he deserved

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Yup-good for you. Mean roosters and kids are a DANGEROUS combination.

7. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    Quote:Speaking of taste...sorry for hijacking. I'm new to chickens. Is there an age what is good and not good to eat them?

Sorry about your roo. I got a year old one from a friend, it was rough and the day I found a home for him, the lady was actually on her way to get him, he got me, I beat him with the broom I was holding and after that he has been the sweetest thing.

8. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    So sorry to hear about this! I hope your kids are okay. Your rooster looks very similar to the one we recently dispatched - he was attacking both me and my husband and after he drew blood twice, he became a pot pie. I've since done a LOT of reading on here about dealing with roosters so if we ever get another one, we will handle things much differently.

9. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Speaking of taste...sorry for hijacking. I'm new to chickens. Is there an age what is good and not good to eat them?

Sorry about your roo. I got a year old one from a friend, it was rough and the day I found a home for him, the lady was actually on her way to get him, he got me, I beat him with the broom I was holding and after that he has been the sweetest thing.

I would ask this question on the meat chicken sections, it depends on what breed he is.

10. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains

Age: any. But the older they are, the tougher meat it has. That's when the crockpot is at it's best. 12 hours on low, with water and seasonings, then 2-4 hours before serving, add veggies. YUM!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by