I h*te the post office

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by secuono, Dec 1, 2010.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    They are a few houses down from me, in a tiny town, always show up at 10am nearly on the dot.
    Today? Hah! They don't come by until 3:30pm to leave the egg note, they didn't bother telling me until on their way back. What is wrong with them?!
    I just checked the tracking code, says out for delivery, what?
    I run out in the cold dark and there it is, 5:40 pm, the note I have TWO packages of eggs just sitting there!
    I had checked the mailbox when I came home at about 1:45pm.

If I get my boyfriend to pick them up at 10am when they open, what should he do with the boxes? Should he put them in the chicken room where it's warm, at least 65F+ compared to the rest of the house? I won't be home until at least 2pm.
    Definitely won't ask him to put them in the bator, who knows what kind of disaster area I will come home to then!

I'm so frazzled.

Anyone?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sigh, my poor eggs. [​IMG]

2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Have him bring them in and put them on the counter.

Then when YOU get home open them carefully and with a camera so that if they've been damaged you can make a report to the seller/PO.

Think they need to sit for a bit before going in the bator too, but I've never done it so hopefully a master will post.

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I let mine sit for 24 hours before i put them in the incubator. I have read some only wait about 12 hours.

4. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    They are sitting in the post office now.
    What does it even do?

And, lol, silly BYCers, my 2 cats and 2 dogs would eat them if someone just left them on the counter!
    I'll tell him to put them in the chicken room. We don't heat the first floor, so daytime it's 60F and colder at night.
    We only heat the basement where we are most of the time, lol.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:Which is why I would go on and set them after about 8 hours for them to reach solid room temp. It allows the eggs to settle back into position within the shells, and the aircell to rest from all the jostling about in the mail truck. It makes for better hatch rates...supposedly. Not sure if any actual research has been done on the differences of waiting versus not.

6. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Hmm, ok.
    thanks

7. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Quote:Seriously? Your dogs and cats would eat them through the box. I think the other poster meant to leave them in the boxes they come in and just let them be til you get home then you can open then up and see if they are all ok.

8. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Yes, the big dog has a thing for fabric, plastic, boxes...lol
    He would smell the chicken and the unknown people smell and get it on the floor. Might break an egg in the process and then he might want to explore further. Once the box is open, it would be a fee for all party.
    The cats alone might just pick a box and sleep on them.
    The little dog can't reach, though, while I'm not home, she should be in her crate.
    The big dog digs through the trash, likes to find and eat eggs I've tossed, plays with dead chickens I try burring. He's a dog's dog, lol.
    The post office is heated/cooled, but would still be warmer than the general house. It'll have to be the chicken room, safer and a good temp for them.

9. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Oh ok then. Guess your right off to another room with them then.

10. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

sending the tracking number for your MFC's right now so they dont end up in a mess too [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by