I "hacked" my Brinsea Mini Eco ... I hatched 20+ eggs instead of 9.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bahamabanty, Aug 3, 2016.

1. bahamabanty

bahamabanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    [​IMG]

(disclaimer: First of all I do realize the Brinsea was not intended for this use, do this at your own risk)

This is the mini eco I have, I did not use the yellow bottom piece this time.
    [​IMG]

Instead I used an cardbox box approx. 18"x18" x 6" high. The box was holding computer equipment at my office, I used some foam insulation from an old refridgerator box. I cut a circle sized hole, the size of the brinsea top and I used egg cartons with holes cut on the bottom inside. Eggs were positioned 'pointy end down', I switched the box to different angle 3 times a day, no individual turning. On day 18 I took the egg trays out and rested all eggs on their sides.I added a tupperware bowl with a wet sponge for humidity, but our local humidity is high anyway.
    I tested the bator before setting the eggs and it held the temperature perfectly! I hatched 15 out of 20+ eggs.
    The eggs that didnt hatch were mostly unfertile. 1 chick never fully developed. I will be doing this again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  2. RidgeviewChick

RidgeviewChick Just Hatched

Jun 18, 2016
    That's really cool. I love to see how people made things work for them.

1 person likes this.
  3. bahamabanty

bahamabanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    Well I am on an island so I have to work with what I got lol!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Great idea and I know, living where I do, that necessity is certainly the mother of invention :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by