I had 3 chickens, a hawk killed one when should I get another chicken?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by deegirl, Feb 16, 2013.

1. deegirl

deegirl New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    I had 3 beautiful girls,best friends, free range, 3 days ago a stupid hawk killed my Audrey. Now I have 2 traumatized chickens. I adopted the 3 from a friend who had to many chickens. He hatched 13 or so at the same time. He said I could take another if I want. They are the same breed and age. When should I do this? Should I get another? Is 2 chickens not enough? Any one have any ideas? My 2 are just starting to come out of the coop when I am around. I hate hawks.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Two chickens will be fine together. The problem with only two is that if something happens to one of them then you have a solitary chicken. A solitary chicken is a very lonely chicken. I would add another hen as soon as is possible. Even though you are using the same source, quarantine is a good idea. Also understand that the hawk will be back. You may want to construct a covered pen and only allow free ranging when you are present. Good luck.

3. deegirl

deegirl New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    Thanks for the info! How long would you quarantine? A full month seems long in these cold times!

4. A month is recomended, even in these cold times. Have you considered getting a rooster? he will help protect the flock from harm.

5. deegirl

deegirl New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    My neighbors said no roosters. So I am it. I heat my one coop and do not have another heated coop. So I will wait to get another chicken until it is not -2 at night. I guess. I will only let my girls out of their pen when I am in the garden. And it is about 20 in the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by