I had a big scare tonight

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lil'ChickFarm, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    I have five silkies, three cochins and three aracauna bantams in a coop with a small run. They are all past two months old, some over then that and about half way grown or more, so I have started opening the coop to let them get some free range time.
    My older hens are all about five to six months old and everyone is getting along just great.
    The little ones don't venture very far from their coop though.
    At night, I go out and shut everyone in for the night. Tonight I found the three aracauna's had joined the big girls in the big coop. I thought that was interesting. They are all almost three months old, so I guess they don't want to be with the "babies" any more. lol. THey were all up on the roost at one end and my four oldest at the other end. No one minded. My four cochins sleep in the nest box. So everyone is happy.
    Well then I went to shut the baby coop door and did a head count and one silkie was missing. It was starting to rain and I looked EVERYWHERE! I could not find her. I went out two or three more times through out the evening to see if she had come back but nothing.
    THe last time that I went out to check, I had a flash light and even though I had already looked down the window well, where my kids basement escape window is, I checked again. It has a cover on it, so I removed it and this time I saw her tiny little soaking wet body laying down there. OMG!! I found her and though it was a difficult treck down into that hole, I got her out.
    She immediatly tucked herself into the group for warmth and happiness reigns tonight in my hearts and all the babies.
    It is a bit cool out there and quite damp, but there are eight of them cuddling together, so i am sure she will warm up quickly. As an after thought, I should have brought her in and toweled her off, but by now she had shared her damp body with her sibs, so I let her be.
    Everyone pray that she is fine by tomorrow. My heart just sank and leaped at the same time when I saw her little pittiful self down in that hole.
    Tomorrow I will fix that problem so it won't happen again. THere was a space behind the cover. It will be no longer there when I get done. This won't happen again. I love my chickens so much.
    I am getting ONE egg now and eight of them are all on the verge of regular egg laying.

I am also going to get a nice photo of my coop this weekend. We got the roof shingled now and it is so nice.

Do any of you give lime stone for calcium? My husband said they use to do that for their chickens when he was a kid.
    I have garden limestone here and I am not sure it is even the right stuff. Anyone know?
    I gave them egg shells that they sniffed and stuck their noses in the air and said they wouldn't touch those, lol

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    she will be ok mommy. you did good. Just think if you did not find her [​IMG]

3. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Quote:I know. I was feeling really bad about going to sleep and thinking she was out there somewhere. [​IMG]

4. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Thank you for taking such good care of your chickens. I'm glad the little one is ok. Have you tried drying & crushing egg shells and adding them into their snack?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by