1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I had a chick who didn't grow, but now has a baby, is it genetic?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RookieBreeder, Feb 26, 2012.

1. RookieBreeder

RookieBreeder Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    Tennessesse
    My Coop
    I am new to the Chicken bisness, and about 8 months ago I bought 4 barred rock chicks at 4 weeks old from a hatchery, and they gave me a free chick, and I thought it wouldn't make it, but, she did. She had Runting Syndrom, I think, but she was extemly smaller than the others and slow to feathering. Kinkajou (the chick) is now a full grow Bared Rock hen with all her sisters, and has a chick. Now I am worried that the chick (Beyonce) has the same issue. All the other chicks (1 week, all same age) have the normal wing feathers. Except Beyonce. I am worried that she might have the same issue. Please help me:)

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Runts can pass this trait to their chicks.. just go ahead and cull her, that is if you don´t mind having Runts or you don´t expect to make money of them(for meat)

3. RookieBreeder

RookieBreeder Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    Tennessesse
    My Coop
    Ok so they can pass down traits? Ill just keep her and see what happens. It would be nearly imposible to separate of Kinkajou, considering i have 5 other bared hens and they all look excatly the same as the others. If I find out which one is Kinkajou Ill put her in my silkie pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by