I had a close call last night update pic of feeder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sammin71, Apr 24, 2011.

1. sammin71

sammin71 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    I went to check on my girls which are 4 weeks old, as i got close to the coop i could here a few loud chirps when i got inside I found one of them had her head stuck in the feeder and couldn't get out she was laying there as tho she gave up. I worked the feeder and her head and she got free I am so glad i checked on them she could've been there for few few hours at the most.The feeder was a red chick feeder i bought at Tsc like 18" long a top feeder.I removed it and set up my new hangin feeder.If you have one of the red top feeders with 4 week old chicks you may want to remove it now..[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Thanks for the timely warning... you may have saved some birds!

3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    YES! The store owner warned me about this possibility when I bought my first feeder. Even though he carried the kind you just described, he suggested that I use the feeder with the spinning bar on top to prevent a chick from getting her head caught. [​IMG] I used a small round one with my new chicks without any problems, but made sure to switch to the other one when they started growing bigger. Thanks for posting this!

4. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    can you post a pic of the one you just described? I want to make sure I don't have that one or if I do, make sure I take it from them by 4 weeks.

5. sammin71

sammin71 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    [​IMG]
    This was the girl who got her head stuck..
    [​IMG]

6. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:Oh, I don't have that one, I have the round one, but the holes look the same size. Wonder if the one I should switch to a different kind when they are a bit older?

7. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    This problem was solved for me because the first day that I needed to fill the feeder for the third time, I went and bought a 12lb galvanized feeder. I don't want to have to worry when I am not going to be home all day. That is so scary though, I would switch if I hadn't already! I am glad you found her before disaster struck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by