I had a HUGE SCARE today!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nettie, Jan 20, 2009.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    In my topic about an egg laying concern i wrote about how i was worried about my duckie... One of them has not been laying every day like the other. I was getting concerned about their well being... Well today i figured out what was up...

As i've said before, my ducks are spoiled. Their are more so pets than a utility animal. They have two pens in my art studio and they have a big pen in my sunroom/patio that's next to the sliding door to the outside. They move around the house often and get to wear diaper harnesses so they don't make messes on the floor.

Well, today i let the ducks down stairs in their harnesses while i watched the inaguration. When I went to take the harnesses off, i found a horrible discovery... There was busted up egg yoke/whites in the harness mixed with some poop. I freaked out thinking my poor duckie is egg bound. I had to call about 15 vets/animal clinics before i found one that treated ducks. I had to call my finance's law school so they could tell him to come home to take us to the vet. While i waited for him to come home, i used a turkey bastor to squirt some water up in the hole to wash out any extra egg yoke. We rushed our duckies over and had them looked at immediately. They were examined and we were given some antiboitics for Victor.

When we got home my fiance discovered that we got two eggs this morning and that one of them didn't have a shell... just the soft membrane and some specks of shell... I later came to find out my fiance forgot to mix oyster shell into the feed mix in our container.... that they've been eating out of for the past week and a half... ugh....

anyways, they are eating a huge heap of food/grit/oyster shell currently and seem okay. they weren't stressed, though they are currently very mad that they got a "physical exam". Yep the doctor stuck his fingers right on up there and felt around a bit. So i'm off to the store to buy applesause to mix the antiboitic in and they reccommended that they eat kale. I'll keep you guys updated...

Of course this comes two days before we are expecting our new baby duckies...

2. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    Wow! What a day. If it wasn't traumatized by the egg mess, it sure was by the hand![​IMG] Good luck, hope it gets better.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    awww! i'm so sorry about your baby! but very glad shes okay!!! you are an awesome duck mommy!! ooh kale is good for them? good! i give mine alot of that! good to know! thanks!, Wendy

4. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    one of the vet techs said he used to work at the zoo around here and they have tons of ducks... He said they'd chop it up and put it next to their ponds.. he said it has lots of calcium which is great for layers...

Yeah, both ducks were not happy today... they are resting and will get an extra long bath and some yummy apple sauce later today. [​IMG]

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Kale and dandelion leaves.

6. chickenplucker2

chickenplucker2 New Egg

Jan 12, 2009
    Illinois
    Poor duck - You are a good duck mom... I once had to check one of my chickens to see if she was "egg bound" or "Bound up" (I had to check to see if she had something stuck ya know) I was being advised by my vet on the phone. [​IMG]

7. nettie

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I feel kinda bad, not only for my ducks but for my poor fiance... He was in Law school when he got the note to come home... He must have blown two red lights on the way back because he got here in record time... I also feel bad because he's been reading up on duck health online and from a couple books. He was reading all about egg binding and when they first laid, he was freaking out thinking our ducks would suffer from it (esp since we were only supposed to have one female, and we ended up with two). I told him to relax that it doesn't happen that often etc.... Then two days later it does happen... he's gonna be a nervous mess the whole rest of the laying season.... and with runners laying 300+ eggs, it's going to be a very looooong season.... lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by