I had a laying hen (EE) die this evening.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickie Momma, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Chickie Momma

Chickie Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Carrollton, Georgia
    She has been having this white yellow diarrhea for a few days. As soon as I noticed that she wasnt acting right or eating like normal I separated her from my other 5. I cleaned around her vent. No redness or blockage or loose feathers. She laid an egg 3 days ago, but nothing 3 days prior when she started acting lethargic. Laying on the floor alot and staying away from the others. She is normally my most aggressive hen. Esp when I feed and hand out treats. I immediately bleached both the feeders and waterers. They are currently indoor chickens and stay in a small part of a very large room. I keep their floor as covered as possible because it can get cold (linoleum). I have heat lamps abt 4 ft from the floor for heat, but the room is very large. Any idea what was wrong with Betsy??

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Coccidiosis, enteritis, e.coli, and blackhead can cause yellowish stools. What were her symptoms--any puffing up, lethargy, paleness, poor appetite? Had she been wormed recently? A necropsy can be performed on a refrigerated body by your state vet to tell you what the cause of death was. So sorry for your loss.

3. Chickie Momma

Mar 12, 2013
    Carrollton, Georgia
    The more investigating I do the more I think she had a blocked gizzard. It was distended and she let out a burp that was so awful! The poop was only like 1/2 tsp at a time but liquid.

4. Chickie Momma

Mar 12, 2013
    Carrollton, Georgia
    She was lethargic, pale and poor appetite too. All got worse even with my intervention. She acted like she couldnt swallow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by