I had another baby chick bantam die on me today and it was awful :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ldutch123, Feb 8, 2012.

1. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I raised my first set of pullets full size in September and I didnt lose a one. Now I get sikies and top hats and I'm thinkin the 2 that died were frizzle bantams. They were very tiny. I just feel awful I always try to keep butts clean and food and fresh water at all times. I got them monday. Any tips? Do bantams need special care? I soaked all their bottoms just now to remove any poop that has built up. Seems they have had quite a bit on there. The silkies do at least. Also directly under the lamp is about 110 degrees. They sleep in an area that is reading about 90. Their food and water r in an area about 85 or so. They never sleep right under the lamp either.

2. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Thats too hot. Thats why you have pasty butt. Lower the temp directly under the light to 90 by raising the light. Then watch them. If they are to hot they lay flattened out with their necks extended. If they are to cold they will peep like crazy and cram themselves under the light.

3. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Silkies are much worse about pasting up than others, I have heard. How are they acting? How old are they? It sounds like your brooder is too hot. Might not be since the 110 reading it right under the lamp. I would adjust it to where it was 90 (for week olds) under the lamp. The reason for the lamp is so they have a spot to warm up. It's not supposed to heat the whole brooder.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  4. psycoforsilkies

psycoforsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    Way too Hot! For those babys, raise your light up so the temp is lower. if you get some who seem weak you can always use electrlyte water or pedilyte for a few days. make sure they have a big enough area to get away from the heat if needed

5. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I will raise the light. They sleep in a pile around the light. Thanks for the advice. Any advice is very helpful for me. Keep it coming. I really need to learn everything I don't want dead babies.

6. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    I raised the light i just feel like what if they get cold. I thought it felt warm but at least they could always get away from the lamp. I wish they would get over this fragile stage cause I just love my pullets and older gals. They r so much fun free ranging the property following me around the yard!!

7. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Just keep a close eye on them. It's easy to adjust the light. Watch their behavior. When they are happily exploring all parts of the brooder then you have it perfect! Don't go too much off temp. It's more important to have comfy birds than to go by the temp everyone tells you. I second the electrolyte water. That should give them a good boost. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by